Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

My Kaiserreich ribbon bar collection

Article about: Hello Sirs. I would like to share with you all my collection of ribbon bars from imperial Germany. I have almost a hundred and today I want to show you some photos of that part of my showcas

Hi mate.
    Good questions. You have to think that all the ribbon bars that have the Hindenburg Cross (the vast majority of the ones in my collection) were made after 1934, which was the year that this decoration was instituted. Still we are talking about being almost ninety years old. And certainly others (about forty) are from the World War I period, so they are a hundred years old or a little older.
    Once an antiquarian commented that the old decorations and ribbon bars of the grandparents or great-grandparents, used to be kept in wooden or brass boxes kept between clothes, in sideboards of the houses or in trunks or suitcases in attics or basements.

When the seller is American, then it is very likely that the ribbon bar was a war memorabilia that some American soldier borrowed from the uniform of a WWI veteran German prisoner.

Regards
    Santi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Kaiserreich ribbon bar collection
    P
    Many

There are not too many books with photographs of ribbonbars from the Kaiserreich era.

This can help you in terms of general ideas.

A photo of mine

Regards
    Santi

?

Santi, I also have that book. it is a great one. I think it is out of print? also-ORDERS, DECORATIONS, AWARD DOCUMENTS, MINEATURES & CASES OF ISSUE. It has 2421, ILLUSTRATIONS. and over 800 PAGES & priced in EUR & US DOLLORS. a great book!

?

it is written by, DETLEV NIEMANN.

?

WOW! now that is a collection! thank you for posting.

Default Prussian Rettungsmedaille

Preussen, Verdienst-Ehrenzeichen für Rettung aus Gefahr, also known as Rettungsmedaille am Bande or (in English) Lifesaving Medal from Prussia.

The Lifesaving Medal was instituted by King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia on August 16, 1833.

It was awarded for having saved another person at the risk of one's own life.

In the Free State of Prussia, its Inner Ministry re-instituted it on June 9, 1925, and it was granted until 1936 in that State.

During the Weimar Republic the German government did not create this Medal.

During the Third Reich, on June 22, 1933, the Reich President re-instituted the medal, based on the Prussian model.

It is a round medal made of silver with the four-line inscription FÜR RETTUNG AUS GEFAHR on its reverse.

The model of the Free State of Prussia bore the national eagle of the Republic of Prussia with wide wings on the obverse and the inscription REPUBLIC on the upper edge and PRUSSEN on the lower edge.

In the Third Reich, the obverse of the medal bears no writing. In it you can see the imperial eagle with the swastika on the chest.

During the Federal Republic of Germany, in accordance with the law on titles, medals and decorations, since July 26, 1957, the Third Reich Lifesaving Medal can be worn without the swastika. This version is often misunderstood as a Lifesaving Medal from the Weimar Republic, which never existed.

Front and back of the 1957 style ribbon bar from my collection with the Rettungsmedaille ribbon

Among its famous winners was fighter pilot (Jadgflieger) Oswald Boelcke, who rescued a French boy from a canal.

Colorized photograph of Oswald Boelcke

A few weeks ago this lot was put up for sale.

Seller photos:

A double ribbon bar, made up of the EK2 1914 and the Rettungsmedaille, together with a buttonhole pin from the Retungsmedaille ribbon, but of which the actual medal had been lost.
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 02-06-2022 at 12:02 AM.

?

Great post Santi! I love the backstory.
    Regards, Al

So unfortunately there is no way of knowing which model it was.

The first Royal model. Awarded from 1833 to 1918

Or the second republican model minted between 1925 and 1933, with the national coat of arms of the Free State of Prussia. Awarded from 1833 to 1918 and from 1925 to 1934

These other images are of the brooch for ladies

And finally, these other images are of the buttonhole pin with a simple ribbon

I suppose I will never know, but given the number of medals made in one period and another, it is much more likely that the missing medal was that of the Rettungsmedaille of the Royal model.

So I bought the set, for an excellent price, I would say: 28 euros

It is a double ribbon bar in very good condition and rare to see and is already part of my collection.

Regards
    Santi

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast