Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My World War 1 History

Article about: Hello this is the things left by my grandfather from the First World War I am a Bulgarian. He fought at Doiran against the English and the French, I have a lot of things I did not photo beca

RMD
    ?

Another nice collection from emo155. It's very cool that these pieces of history have been preserved within your family.

.. I have a few things inherited from my grandfather, who fought within the Italian SS. / If I may ask, what is that card, to the right, with the female lowering the sword? Any chance of getting a nice close-up of this? It is beautiful.

This thread might be of some interest to you-------> 2 Bulgarian medals

?

This is a document that is given to the family that my grandfather's brother is dead
    he had three brothers and they died during the First World War.
    I have their death documents, but they are not at the moment to take pictures
    I will show you my other things when I have time to photo them

?

- - ------- - -

?

Thank you for posting such interesting family items. I have studied the Macedonian campaign and visited some of the battle sites. The Doiran sector was dominated by steep hills which the Bulgarians held and the British attacked with heavy loss of life in 1917 and 1918, of course the normal course of Trench warfare continued before and between these attacks.

I have climbed Kala Tepe, know to the British as the Devil's Eye and sat by the Bulgarian observation bunker which gave the hill its name. It is easy to see how the Bulgarian army dominated the terrain. That being said I believe the Bulgarian soldier had a particularly rough time during the War, many being at best ambivalent to have joined on the side of the Central Powers in October 1915. Even prior to the Bulgarian Armistice in September 1918 following the Allied breakthrough at Dobro Pole there were thousands of Bulgarian soldiers marching on Sofia with the aim of bringing down Tsar Ferdinand and his government (known as the Radomir rebellion).

It will be interesting to see any other items you have to show. Many thanks and all the best.

?

Thank you!
    I did not go to Kala Tepe but may I succeed soon his brother died there on February 12, 1917

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2