MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64

Article about: A Bell L M16 size 64 helmet that I received this week. Manufactured by R Lindenberg A G., Remscheld-Hasten, who only produced helmets in size 64 (M16, M17 & M18), these relatively scarce

Default Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64

A Bell L M16 size 64 helmet that I received this week.

Manufactured by R Lindenberg A G., Remscheld-Hasten, who only produced helmets in size 64 (M16, M17 & M18), these relatively scarce shells are often noted for the beveled edge of their vent lugs. This example retains all three chrome-tanned liner pads with one still filled with horse hair. A closer inspection behind the liner pads revealed the remains of a smudged name inked on the steel liner band, the blue letters FCB and the number 6 presumably for the size 64 along with a smudged purple FCB stamp behind one tongue. FCB stands the F.C.Bellinger who made the steel liner band. Receiving a liner band from a different factory as I have recently been told is unusual but not unheard of. Beside the size stamp on the left side is a lightly stamped L for the manufacturer with the shape of the bell or “rattle” almost indistinguishable. When visible the factory stamp will appear as a bell shaped stamp with and L beside it. On the lower left side damage from a small bullet/shrapnel strike is visible with corresponding damage to the steel liner band within.

Hope you like it!
    Andy
    Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64
    P
    Many

?

A great example Andy, with some unique character and feaures, congratulations.

Holding history. Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Paul

MAP
    ?

Catching up since being away Andy. Great looking helmet for sure! Great photos too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks MAP! Took these in the early morning sunlight on Sunday. Amazing what a difference light makes to the colour of a helmet. Here’s a photo of the helmet on the sellers site for comparison.
    Named, Shrapnel damaged, Bell L M16 size 64

Very nice helme, the history breaths through the patina and the evidence. Can't read the name, would be a bonus to know the history of this one.

Thanks BlackCat! Apparently the location of the name is unusual but I’ve seen them on the back of the liner pad too. Unfortunately the location on mine is where a lot of sweat builds up so probably that was what smudged it unfortunately. I’ve always found it curious that so many German soldiers wrote their names on their helmets where so many other countries soldiers didn’t and I’m not sure why that is.

Andy