Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?

Article about: Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while but today I came across this helmet which sparked my interest. It's going for a very good price, but that also concerns me and the pictures provid

Default Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but today I came across this helmet which sparked my interest. It's going for a very good price, but that also concerns me and the pictures provided aren't the best either. The paint and liner are also giving me doubts, but I'd like to hear the opinions of others. I've already requested better pictures from the seller.

I was wondering if any of you very knowledgeable members could use these pictures to determine originality?
    I will post the better pictures once I've received them.

Best wishes,

Lucas

Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Orginal WW1 M16 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

From these photos I would not want to make a decision on originality.

As BlackCat said, better images needed as always. One thing to note - the liner pin installed on the front right side photo looks incorrect. The pin pictured appears to be the rear pin. The rear should be slightly raised with the front two flat. Not unknown to happen though. Im leaning towards the paint being original but much handled or polished. Can see a name on the liner band in the first photo so a closeup would be good.

The liner might be OK but would like to see closeups of that too and liner string appears to be a replacement.

Think it stands a good chance but depends on good photos. Can see three different shades of green in the images provided by the seller but they are all different and but that’s just down to the lighting.

Andy

The Shell is definitly original, and looks at first glance unrepaired, the liner has in my Opinion a good chance, althought the pictures arent good enought to definitly judge that.
    The Inside Paint seems to have the correct colour, but the outside looks repainted to me, i see the same green as inside shimmering through that black colour.

It might have been painted black at some point or even lacquered but also remember as paint ages ages it can darken. For example, a dark blue can appear an dark almost black colour but it’s certainly too shiny. Helmets can also be covered in dirt, oil and grease. Really need good well lit images to be able to evaluate. Here’s an M16 with an original matte feldgrau covered with dirt and stains.
    Andy

Thank you gents for the responses, you're always a great help!
    Sadly the seller has become unresponsive. He uploaded a couple of extra photos but these were hardly any better than these.

If he does respond and finally sends some proper photos then I will let you all know, however I do not have high hopes for him doing so.
    (Btw I love that M16 Andy)

Lucas

Thanks Lucas. That’s a size 64 that has been depot refurbished. The one you can see to the right is a size 60 the smallest made. I just bought an M62 that has been depot refurbed and brush painted but it’s staying in Germany until the postal service goes back to normal. Here a pic below.

By the way, glad you passed on this as I think you can do much better. BSR Militaria usually has a few good complete WW1 helmets for sale so worth checking out.
    Andy

Hi Andy, the on the wearer's front left is probably a rear pin miss placed when the liner was installed, or more likely, when switched in the field. I have a few on which the rear pin is misplaced to one of the front holes. Jim G.

Hi Jim, yes I’ve seen a few examples of the rear pin in place of one of the front. Not sure why the rear was more raised than the others.
    Andy

?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Hi Jim, yes I’ve seen a few examples of the rear pin in place of one of the front. Not sure why the rear was more raised than the others.
    Andy
    Hello Andy, the raised rivet acted as a kind of strap retainer for a stirnpanzer, if worn.

Regards
    Brett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast