Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Otto von lossow ribbon bar ID

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I was wondering if anyone here can definitively identify the ribbonbar of Otto von Lossow, G. LT, pictured here. Wikipedia has a listing of his awards, but I am unsure wheth

Default Otto von lossow ribbon bar ID

Hello gentlemen,

I was wondering if anyone here can definitively identify the ribbonbar of Otto von Lossow, G. LT, pictured here. Wikipedia has a listing of his awards, but I am unsure whether they correspond to the image here, and if they account all the nuances.

-Warmest regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Otto von lossow ribbon bar ID
    P
    Many

Default The von Lossow challenge

Well .... It isn´t a simple question, of course.

The proposal to identify the decorations that make up von Lossow's ribbon bar is very interesting. Unfortunately, the searches I have done have not led me to his complete award history.

In addition to the photograph with which our colleague "FiveStars" has started this thread, I have added another of von Lossow with the same ribbon bar of twelve awards.

With Bavarian Military Merit Order full size.

With Prussian Order of the Red Eagle, with Crown and Swords full size.

The ribbon bar is the same, but the first one shows the Bavarian Military Merit Order, full size; while in the second, he appears with the Prussian Order of the Red Eagle, with Crown and Swords, full size.

In the sources I consulted, up to seven different decorations are listed (three Ottomans and one Austro-Hungarian)

In both photographs, although the ribbon bar can be seen very clearly, but being in black and white, it´s impossible to say with absolute certainty which decorations the twelve ribbons are.

If some other member of the forum has the exact information on the twelve decorations that would be great.

So we can identify some, deduce which may be others by the priority of placement of the medals; and because as we all know, those of foreign states are placed at the end (in this case: 9, 10, 11 and 12) which in this specific case are the most easily identifiable.

1. Bavarian Military Merit Order, 2nd Class with Swords.

2. Prussian / Hohenzollern Decoration.
    3. Prussian / Hohenzollern Decoration.

To illustrate ribbons no. 2 and 3 I use the image of another ribbon bar (also with twelve ribbons and, curiously also with decorations from Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire, the last two). Their placement at the beginning of the ribbon bar and their colors allow us to deduce that they are Prussian / Imperial

4. Prussian Order of the Red Eagle, 2nd Class, with Crown.

5. Unknown.
    6. Unknown.
    7. China Denkmünze Ostasiatisches Expeditionskorps 1900-1901 ¿?
    8. Prussian Centenary Medal ¿?

To illustrate ribbons no. 8 and 9 I use images of a double ribbon bar. I have read that von Lossow was in possession of the 1900-1901 China Expedition Medal and, as the next ribbon is so light in color, it could be the Centenary Medal.This is only an assumption, since its order of placement would be correct, but the ribbon 8, the truth is that it does not seem to me clearly that it is the one of the Medal of the Expedition to China.

Foreign awards:

9. Austria-Hungary. Military Merit Cross, 2nd Class with War Decoration.

10. Ottoman Empire: Order of Medjidie.

11. Ottoman Empire: Lyakat Medal in Gold with Sabers (*)

(*) Medal of Merit (Liyakat Madalyasi), 1915-1918 issue, with crossed sabres and inscribed with the date ‘١٣٣٢’ (AH1332 =AD1915)

12. Ottoman Empire: Turkish War Medal (so-called "Gallipoli Star")

Another example of friendships and camaraderie between the Ottoman Empire and the German Empire...

A patriotic pin of Ottoman German friendship, original to the period.

von Kressenstein in 1916

Friedrich Siegmund Georg Freiherr Kress von Kressenstein (1870 – 1948). He was a member of the group of German officers who assisted in the direction of the Ottoman Army during World War I. Kress von Kressenstein was part of the military mission of Otto Liman von Sanders to the Ottoman Empire, which arrived shortly before World War I broke out. He was also the main leader for the Ottoman Desert Command Force (DCF).

In this detailed image of his decorations I have numbered those that coincide with those of von Lossow

Please share any member with information on von Lossow awards so that we can correct and broaden this search.

Greetings
    Santi

#2 would be the Prussian Ek2.
    #3 the Hohenzollern house order
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I agree with Gregg. That's what I think they must be.

Thank you all very much for this very detailed and helpful analysis!