Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Papers to veteran of both Wars

Article about: Greetings, This is the newest arrival to my collection from Germany. It is a paper grouping attributed to Willi Schmidt who served in both Wars. Included is his Militär-Paß, Landsturm-Ausw

?

Default Papers to veteran of both Wars

Greetings,

This is the newest arrival to my collection from Germany. It is a paper grouping attributed to Willi Schmidt who served in both Wars. Included is his Militär-Paß, Landsturm-Ausweis, Wehrpaß, Militärregierung-Befreiung, and four nice photographs from the Great War.

This was a grouping that I came across completely by accident but I am glad to have. I was cross checking my list on Google for Kraftfahr Abteilung info to help Daarom with one of his Kraftfahr ekm. This was further down in the images of that search and I took one look before I decided I would buy it. Honestly, the four photographs were what I was interested in, that was what I bought this for although the documents have grown on me and are very welcome. Thanks Daarom for indirectly leading me to this.
    Enjoy this grouping.

The reverse here reads “Rehan Grenz-Schutz am 26.II.19.” So it seems like immediately after the war, he was a border guard somewhere? You will see this ‘Rehan’ comes up multiple times later and I don’t know what is the background there.

The obverse reads “Zur Erinnerung an Rehan 1918. Willi” The reverse has close to the same message as the obverse and is dated 12.VII.18

Another exciting photo posed alongside a truck. This one was written to his father in Nürnberg with a message to his parents. Dated 13.III.18 from Rehan.

The Hercules trucks shown in these two photos are proving mysterious to my searches. It seems like this is a short-lived automobile maker and a rare sight? I have only found mention of the Hercules trucks online in one book: “American Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles of WW1” by Albert Mroz. I’ll attach the excerpt below. If anyone knows more about this mystery, please let me know.

His Pionier Militär-Paß. I have translated a decent amount, but feel free to offer changes or further info you find interesting. Thanks

Name: Wilhelm Schmidt
    Height: 1m 64cm
    Born: 2 June 1899 in Höchstadt an der Aisch
    District: Neustadt an der H.
    State: Bavaria
    Religion: Protestant
    Entered service 1 June 1917 at the Rekruten-Depot Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung No.2

Sworn in 19 June 1917. Serving with Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung No.2

16.8.17 to 22.10.17 with Ersatz Kompanie/ Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.2, Nürnberg then to the 1e Abteilung on 23.10.17

28.12.17 to 13.2.18 with Ersatz Kompanie/ Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.2, Nürnberg then to the 2e Abteilung I.K.9 (?) on 13.2.18

Untranslated messages and leaves section

Discharged from service 6 March 1919.

His Landsturm Ausweis dated 3 April 1917 attached to the back inside cover of the Militär-Paß.

His early, first version Wehrpaß that was opened in Mannheim on 19 March 1937.

Thank you for viewing this spur purchase grouping from a very young man that served in the Great War and later in WW2. The following post will cover his Wehrpaß. Him being so young in the Great War, makes me think of my own great grandfather whom I never met. Another young man serving in the Great War, but seven months younger than Herr Schmidt here. A tribute and memory to the survivors and lost of the Great War.

?

Default Wehrpaß and Occupation Pass

Here is the continuation where I will present the Wehrpass and Post-WW2 Occupation pass to Heer Schmidt.

As mentioned in the last post, the first version Wehrpaß that was opened in 1937. Denazified after the war as was common.

The Wehrpaß for Wilhelm Schmidt opened on 19 March 1937 in Mannheim for service with Stab/ Nachrichten Abteilung 263.

Name: Wilhelm “Willi” Schmidt
    Born: 2 June 1899
    Distric: Höchstadt an der Aisch
    Neustadt an der Aisch
    Nationality:?
    Religion: Evangelist
    Occupations: ?
    Father: Christian Schmidt
    Mother: Bertha Albrecht

Prior service in WW1:
    Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.2
    1.6.17-23.10.17
    Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.1
    23.10.17-28.12.17
    Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.2
    28.12.17-2.5.18
    Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.3
    2.5.18-1.11.18
    Kraftfahr ? Gr. Sh. ? 53
    1.11.18-3.3.19
    Kraftfahr Ersatz Abteilung No.3
    5.3.19-6.3.19

Stab/ Nachrichten-Abteilung 263
    27.8.39-2.7.40
    Wehrkreis-Ersatz Depot II/ 12 1. Durchgangstelle
    8.7.40-9.7.40

Service with Stab/ Nachrichten Abteilung 263 of 263 Infanterie Division during the invasions of Poland and France.

Promotions:
    1.12.39 Gefreiter
    1.17.40 Unteroffizier

Last date ever noted is 8 January 1941 when he was discharged?

Occupation Pass for Wilhelm Schmidt to move through occupied Germany to the locations specified on his pass. This was issued 10 April 1945 in Mannheim.

Wilhelm Schmidt was authorized to enter the flying field, radio station, and to travel within a 10 kilometer radius of Mannheim and Peckenheim? area. Motor? Necessary
    Signed by Major John F. Curran, C.M.P

Great grouping

While looking for images to post in my "industrial warfare" thread, I ran across another
    picture of a Hercules truck which I did not save. I've spent the last hour and a half
    trying to find it without any success. I'll keep digging.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Witt, what a great group, thank you for showing it to us.

I have noted down a couple of bits below.

From his Militär-Paß his job looks like Feinmechaniker (Precision mechanic).

Name: Wilhelm Schmidt
    Height: 1m 64cm
    Born: 2 June 1899 in Höchstadt an der Aisch
    District: Neustadt an der H.
    State: Bavaria
    Religion: Protestant
    Entered service 1 June 1917 at the Rekruten-Depot Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung No.2

Prior service in WW1:

Kraftfahr Staffel Gr. Sch. Bataillon 53

Austrians abbreviate "Bataillon" as "Baon", Germans as "Batl." or "Btl."

The Gr could be Gruppe and the next part looks like Sch, which could be Schwadron or schwere (but I am not up on my WW1 unit designations).

From his Wehrpaß.

His nationality is Deutsch (German).

I am not 100% sure about his practiced profession, but below is how I would read it.

Beruf
    erlernter - Feinmechaniker
    ausgeübter - Zählertechniker

Profession
    trained - Precision mechanic
    practiced - Meter Technician

Was macht ein Zahlertechniker?

From the Occupation Pass for Wilhelm Schmidt.

Wilhelm Schmidt was authorized to enter the flying field, radio station, and to travel within a 10 kilometer radius of Mannheim and 'Seckenheim' area. 'Motor vehicle necessary'
    Signed by Major John F. Curran, C.M.P

Seckenheim -
    Seckenheim – Wikipedia
    Seckenheim Map - Mannheim, Germany - Mapcarta

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 07-02-2022 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Typo

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    While looking for images to post in my "industrial warfare" thread, I ran across another
    picture of a Hercules truck which I did not save. I've spent the last hour and a half
    trying to find it without any success.
    Hopefully you find that picture. I would be interested to see it; not much info but assuming it is that company out of Milwaukee that sold them to Britain and Germany.

Thank you again Will for reading some of those passages I could not figure out and providing some more clarity. I also thought that read Baon 53 so that was confusing.

Still no clarity about Rehan or his involvement as a border guard after the First World War.

Thanks Witt.
    Still searching.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.