Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Pour le Mérite - Too good to be true!

Article about: Hi, new user here, I just want to have some experts give their opinion on this supposedly real Pour Le Mérite, IMO it's too cheap (and since it's listed at eBay the danger is real XD): https

DerMaestro
    ?

Exclamation Pour le Mérite - Too good to be true!

Hi, new user here, I just want to have some experts give their opinion on this supposedly real Pour Le Mérite, IMO it's too cheap (and since it's listed at eBay the danger is real XD):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/142044363208
    I can't post the pics here as I am using a mobile.
    Hope y'all can help!
    Thanks!

2. # ADS

If it is genuine, it certainly is a Much later produced version of the award. One look at the case-which apparently belongs with it-shows a case that is certainly not nearly 100 years old. The fact that the eagle's beaks are not wide open also would be a concern-among many others. Although, it Is guaranteed for a full 6 weeks, so it's not too dangerous, if you wanted to take a shot on it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think "too good to be true" describes this pretty well.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

The enamel looks rather clumsily done for such a prestigious award. I doubt that this is original.

The genuine item just doesn't pop-up on Ebay. End of.

Here's a genuine Godet produced P Le M, note that there are many differences from the one in the link. The suspension loop is a case in point.

Pour le Mérite - Too good to be true!Pour le Mérite - Too good to be true!

The ebay offering.

Pour le Mérite - Too good to be true!Pour le Mérite - Too good to be true!

It's also worth noting that the award doesn't fit the depression in the case either.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

DerMaestro
    ?

Thank you to all those who replied, always good to learn about these items.

I go with the others

Well someone just laid down US$1,524 for this ......... considering it started at $1.00 it has become a very expensive case for sure!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Well someone just laid down US$1,524 for this ......... considering it started at $1.00 it has become a very expensive case for sure!

Dan
    Yep, sniped with 3 seconds to spare & probably feeling very pleased with himself. This same seller, Mr history1901, seems to have a supply of Pour le Merite as he will often have them listed. He had one sell for US $2,001 back in February. This was an identical cross, with oakleaves, that was sold in a fitted case marked H.J. Wilm Berlin. Common sense should tell that nobody in their right mind is going to sell a real one of these on Ebay, let alone start the auction at $1.00.

Regards
    Brett

MAP
    ?

Funny....I've seen 3 PLM'S pop up over the last two weeks when I haven't seen one in many many years. There is another on the WAF e stand that looks just like this one and another (somewhere else) that resembles these two but much higher quality craftsmanship, silver gilt, patina, and open beaked eagles but with the same style thin suspension ring (vs the 1/4 moon style as shown by Ned) marked Godet.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)