Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)

Article about: This example appears to have been owned by a soldier of Grenadier Regiment Prinz Karl von Preussen (2.Brandenburgisches) No.12, judging by the shoulder straps. Whether these were added away

Default Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)

This example appears to have been owned by a soldier of Grenadier Regiment Prinz Karl von Preussen (2.Brandenburgisches) No.12, judging by the shoulder straps. Whether these were added away from the front or post war, I am unsure but have read that it was unusual for them to remain fitted to the coat during service. The coat is heavily soiled and well used condition with a little moth damage in areas. Stamped with what looks like a size 62 stamp and 1917 depot inspection stamp which may be a second stamp. However, I believe this example to have been made prior to 1917 as the rear belt openings are made of leather, rather than cloth as in the 1917 manufactured coat. Having said that I am not aware of the date that the directive for a change was formally issued. In hand, the wool of the coat is field grey in colour with the sage green cloth collar indicating it being Prussian. Size adjustment straps are located in the rear with 6 brown painted crowned buttons closing off the coat to the front.

The coat is twice named in purple ink in the rear interior, however there are two names that are the same and one that is different suggesting two owners. Still learning about these, so any information or feedback is very welcome.

The acquisition of this item brings me a step closer to completing my Imperial German soldier mannequin and has been one of those pickups that really gets you excited.

Andy Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)Prussian M15 Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Mantel (Great Coat)

MAP
    ?

Simply fantastic Andy. Looks great. Some wear that gives it great character but still solid and in very good condition. I can imagine this in the trenches

This will look great once you get the mannequin all set up. Can't wait to see it!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This is something completely out of my wheelhouse but it looks to be in really
    good condition for being over a hundred years old.

I'm looking forward to the day we can see your completed mannequin.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Excellent find, Andy!
    Splendidly hoary condition, right off the battlefield!
    I’ve got one of these on my shopping list.. I hope I find one just as good as yours.
    Well done and I’m looking forward to your mannequin too.
    All the best,
    Rob

P.S.: according to Dr. Jürgen Kraus, the change from leather to cloth reinforcement, for the belt hook slits, was effected during 1917. If this is the case, then your Mantel appears to date from the former part of the year (however long that was).
    Last edited by Kohima; 07-15-2022 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks for the information Rob

I find that you are more likely to come across them on European sites due to them not tending to be an item that was heavily souvenired unlike helmets etc. Mine does have some moth damage but is quite sturdy and I never really wanted one that didn’t look used.

Andy

Thanks guys!

I have some nice pieces coming in the next few weeks including hobnail boots in original condition and a green glass ersatz water bottle. I post them up when I can.

?

Andy, do you have a photo(s) detailing the hook and eye fastening opposite the lowest button and in line with the top of the right pocket flap? Cheers.

Hi Slobo, I’ll take some photos a bit later and post them up for you.