Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915

Article about: I've just purchased my very first pickelhaube, an apparently very ordinary and late-production Prussian infantry example. I believe it to be essentially "unmessed" with, but will p

Default Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915

I've just purchased my very first pickelhaube, an apparently very ordinary and late-production Prussian infantry example dated 1915. I believe it to be essentially "unmessed" with, but will post pictures of it and its markings and welcome input. My question, however, regards the chinstrap which I recognize to be wrong (for one thing it's too long), though it obviously fits. Before anyone goes ballistic, I realize it should NOT be allowed to rest on its peaks - I only did that for the photos. It was on a hat stand when I bought it, and right now its resting on another I improvised from an old candlestick, with all the weight of the spike resting on that and NOT the leather helmet body.

Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915body.
    Last edited by James N; 01-04-2016 at 09:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915
    P
    Many

Default Details

I at first believed the cockades to be repainted, but on closer inspection believe the Prussian one to be OK; the National looks like maybe the white center might have been. I was a little concerned about the poor detailing of the eagle but wonder if that lack of detail may be the result of a worn-out mold or stamp?

Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915
    Last edited by James N; 01-04-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Default Markings

The liner is in overall sound condition, with only one "finger" torn a little, and showing obvious darkening from wear. The helmet body appears to be stamped Hugo Basuchs & Co. Berlin 1915. (?) Written in ink are blurred inscriptions that look like Bekr. Depot Rgt. 1?? on one side and R. D. 1 / II / 160. on the other. I presume this to indicate Infantry Regiment 160, Second Battalion?

Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915 Prussian Pickelhaube d. 1915

?

It might be something like Rekruten Depot 1, 2nd batallion, Infanterie Regt. 160...
    The chinstrap is an altered chinscales type. They kept the chinscale ends and replaced the chinscales by a leather strap. These were mostly used as replacement straps, so it's perfectly possible for your pickelhaube...

Here's my Baden steel ersatz pickelhaube with such a strap...

Adler

Nice 'Haube' James!