Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Reissued s98/05 bayonet

Article about: Hi guys, didn't know good where to post this question, but here it go's.. I got this s98/05 bayonet by Simson&Co. I have some questions about it that hopefully you guys could help me wit

?

Default Reissued s98/05 bayonet

Hi guys, didn't know good where to post this question, but here it goes..
    I got this s98/05 bayonet by Simson&Co. I have some questions about it that hopefully you guys could help me with. I believe this is a reissued ww2/third reich bayonet seeing its blued, the screws have been replaced by notched ones and the waffenamt stamp on the pommel. Does anyone known which waffenamt this is? And which time period? I want to try to track down its history.. Also, I believe this is a transitional, s98/05 Aa with flashguard and ears filed down? Also there is a stamp at the front of the spine (number 9?) and at the finial of the scabbard (number 70?). A LOT of questions on this one..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reissued s98/05 bayonet   Reissued s98/05 bayonet  

Reissued s98/05 bayonet   Reissued s98/05 bayonet  

Reissued s98/05 bayonet  
    Last edited by Deges; 02-13-2021 at 11:41 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reissued s98/05 bayonet
    P
    Many

?

More pictures can be made..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Reissued s98/05 bayonet   Reissued s98/05 bayonet  

Thread should be in the Imperial forum. You've got a fairly standard S98/05 n.A pattern from 1915. It has imperial fraktur marks and the blade is blued which does suggest post WW1 service. None of this surprising, these bayonets were both used in the Weimar by Police and Army and into the early Third Reich. In fact some Heer units in 1939 still were using the S98/05.

?

Thank you for your answer. it's indeed an imperial bayonet, but I was wondering which waffenamt it is. It's third reich I believe. So that is why I posted this here, knowing there is maybe more knowledge here about this stamp. Is there a way to figure out the stamp and address this to Heer, polizei,... I also think it's an Aa made in 1915 with flashguard and the ears filed down after. Maybe during repair or be reissuing it, could this be?

Not sure about that third mark on the pommel as it's unlike the early TR type used which carried on Weimar Republic marks, until 1937. This earlier mark was a eagle with open "m" like wing and number below. Often seen on bayonets made in the early 1930's. Of course from 1937 the "WaA" type was in use.

Unfortunately I cannot make out the markings. That said, it would not be a Waffenamt. And with that said, on some German TR era bayonets (and Imperial era swords) armory/depot markings can be seen that have usually the later style (straightwing) eagles. Best Regards, Fred

?

Thank you for your input! I've made some better pictures. Maybe this will say more.. Looks like a straight winged eagle with SU.. Under it.. Hard to tell..

Thanks for the new photos I can see what you are referring to. The problem now being that all of the "SU" markings that I can immediately recall seeing are what are usually called "Droop Wings" (ie: bent downwards). And then there is the matter of the linkage to what is known about them. So I will keep it in mind as I look to see if something can be found (or not). Best Regards, Fred

?

Thank you very much Fred!