Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Relic hunting in Verdun

Article about: Hi everyone, In the Corona crisis the border to France opened on time for my vacation. It took me to the battered city of Verdun. At last I found (in a antiques shop) a German M17 gasmask in

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    Hi B.B.

I just learned that the "Schnappdeckel' was not a protection against contermnation before use, but an add-on or update.

In mid 1917 or mid 1918 (depending on who you read) the Germans introduced a snap-on filter attachment designed to counteract the effects of diphenylchlorarsine aka Blue Cross. The filter on the right has this attachment. (Quote: The great War form - Hans K. 2014)

Interesting fact.

Cheers Paul
    Something similar was done on British civilian masks of the WWII period. An additional 'Contex' filter was added to update the mask against newer chemical agents. Thankfully, those masks were never used for their intended purpose.

There should be an ink stamp on top of the filter, next to the threads, with a date. If not, check the lenses. They should have dates stamped around the rims. That might not tell you when the mask was issued, but it'll tell you when it was last used.

Regards, B.B.

Hi B.B.

I cannot find any dates. Not on the glasses and on the filter they were lost in time. I found in the inside under the folded part above the lenses stamps. I can not read them. Maybe you know where the stand for. I must be a factory stamp and a production number of some sort.

Cheers Paul

Relic hunting in Verdun

Relic hunting in Verdun

Relic hunting in Verdun

Relic hunting in Verdun

The last ink stamp looks like it might be a date. '17', possibly, which fits with this type of mask.

Interesting that the stamps on the lenses haven't survived. Sometimes they're hidden partially under the frames, like this:

Relic hunting in Verdun

Regards, B.B.

Nothing on the lenses I'm afraid. But thanks you have been very helpfull.

Cheers Paul

Glad I was able to be of some help!

B.B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2