Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

silesian eagle

Article about: hello last time ive obtained this eagle. this is the very first time that i have contact with this type. i will be very hapy for every information about it. i saw on the internet a multiple

Default silesian eagle

hello
    last time ive obtained this eagle.
    this is the very first time that i have contact with this type.
    i will be very hapy for every information about it.
    i saw on the internet a multiple forms.few classes,one enameled other blackened and really big amount of shapes and detail diffrences.
    does exist any maker rarity data od this badge?
    regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture silesian eagle   silesian eagle  

silesian eagle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement silesian eagle
    P
    Many

Michal19; the Silesian Eagle (Der Schlesische Adler) was created on 19 June 1919 by VI. Armee-Korps Generalleutnant Friedrich von Friedeburg, The medal was Freikorps award for service in the Silesian Civil Wars (Bürgerkriege in Oberschlesien) August 1919 to July 1921, in Upper Silesia, which was part of Germany at the time.
    The award was issued in first and second class. The medal is made of iron and is either a blackened or browned eagle looking to the right, with a gold-colored flat crescent moon with a cross in the cavity. In its claws the eagle carries a ribbon with the inscription
    Für Schlesien
    . In 1921, an unofficial enameled version was made that looked exactly like the official awards. The award was made in first-class and second-class awards. The first first-class award was a pinback that was worn on the left side pocket. The class-second award hung from a vertical yellow-white-yellow striped ribbon (the colors of Silesia) and was worn above the left-side pocket. After 1 July 1921, oak leaves or swords were authorized for the Silesian eagle, both first-class and second-class. The color, black or brown, does not denote first or second class. The difference between the first-class and second-class awards id easily seen; a first-class award has a pinback and the second-class award has a suspension ring.
    The Silesian Eagle is widely counterfeited, some being very accurate replicas and others much less so. Others are crass fantasy designs. Below is the enameled version from the NASM Collection Dwight
    silesian eagle

This is actually a less common example as it has the maker mark of Max Reich Breslau. Max Reich made the Silesian Eagle in several different finishes including enamel. He was a well known maker of various Freikorps awards.