Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sword Identification

Article about: Hi, i would like some help identifying what type of sword this is. It seems as if the hilt is badly oxidized and has therefore turned black, i have limited knowledge so i could be wrong. Doe

Default Sword Identification

Hi, i would like some help identifying what type of sword this is. It seems as if the hilt is badly oxidized and has therefore turned black, i have limited knowledge so i could be wrong. Does anyone recognize any similar swords or know exactly what this is?

Sword IdentificationSword IdentificationSword IdentificationSword Identification

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sword Identification
    P
    Many

Your photos are not so good and they can't be enlarged and it's the detail that helps identification. However you have an Imperial era, most likely Prussian Lion head sword, probably pre-WW1. It could be military, or it may be "Verein", or association related. There is what looks like crossed swords on the langet, but also two holes where an insignia was later attached. The hilt is typical for cavalry or artillery officers, but usually seen with a slightly curved blade. This straight blade is more infantry officer, but as private purchase it could have been modified for a different buyer, hence the langet attachment now lost. The etching (if visible) might give some more clues.
    It appears as you say to have suffered from some oxidation. Do you have a scabbard for it, or did it rust away?
    Have a look under the langets, may be a maker mark.

Default Imperial Sword Identification

Hi, I have recently purchased a sword which i assumed to have a Hilt made of tarnished brass from the start. Now that i have recieved it i can clearly see that it has a silver colored metal as base(i assume steel). But it is also coated black on the steel. It is not painted, what remains of the black coloring is clean and seems to have been chemically done. This layer of black has faded away from wear and age in most spots and it only remains on some parts. Does anyone know if this coloring was done by the manufacturer or if it was done by someone else. Also, what is the purpose of coloring it black? From what i have heard it was in order for it not to reflect sunshine.

The sword is made by WKC and it has the marking which carries a king´s head next to a knight´s head above the text WK&C. From what i have read this trademark was used between 1883 and 1918. Please correct me if wrong. Under the langet where the WKC marking is there is also the number "1124".

The sword has two sabres crossing eachother on one side, which from my knowledge usually means cavalry, but it also has two holes where a missing emblem of some sort would have been mounted. On the other side of the sword there is a shield made from brass. The shield did have some insignia but it seems as if someone has shaved it off, only faint outlines exist of it. Could the sword be brass which is nickel plated? has the nickel tarnished so badly that it has turned black?

What i really do wonder about the sword is why it is silver colored? Most Lion-Head Swords are made from brass, i have trouble finding any swords of the same kind with a silver color metal. Does anyone know more about this? Is it a later replica?

Does anyone know anything about this kind of this sword?

PHOTOS:
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Sword Identification
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword Identification  

Welcome to the forum.
    We do not allow the use of outside photo hosting sites here, please resize your photos and post them in this thread.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for letting me know! I managed to get the images posted now. Wont forget.

Quote by Duffle3945 View Post
    Hi, I have recently purchased a sword which i assumed to have a Hilt made of tarnished brass from the start. Now that i have recieved it i can clearly see that it has a silver colored metal as base(i assume steel). But it is also coated black on the steel.
    I don't know anything about swords but have you put a magnet to the hilt? If it is steal, a
    magnet should stick.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks for the suggestions, never thought of doing it. The hilt of the sword is not magnetic, So its not steel and does not contain iron in any amount. I have two theories. The hilt is made from brass, which has then been nickel plated and then chemically colored black. My second theory is that the sword is nickel plated, and that it has turned black due to tarnishing.

UPDATE: I found this sword for sale in 2014 (Access to this page has been denied.). Made from german silver/Nickel silver. Has black tarnishing/paint of the same kind as mine. Does anyone have any expertise with German Silver Swords.

This is the second thread you've made for the same sword, I've already made my comments on your 30 December 2019 thread. Not sure why this is "important". The black colour could well be tarnish and it could be nickel plated over base metal. I've already floated the suggestion it was for a member of a service association rather than military, hence the lost insignia from the langet. I will add it's a quality sword with nice hand tooled finish, and imperial era WKC logo. Probably made about 1910, generic blade etching. The 1124 number if hidden under the langet, is more likely a catalogue number.