Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Two Imperial Swords; Identification Inquiry

Article about: Hello all, I've been offered a group of four Imperial swords. Two are plain, however two are more ornate and of interest to me. I have attached close photos of the two. The blades appear to

Default Two Imperial Swords; Identification Inquiry

Hello all,

I've been offered a group of four Imperial swords. Two are plain, however two are more ornate and of interest to me. I have attached close photos of the two. The blades appear to be polished. One blade is marked to Eichhorn with the double backed squirrel mark, the other is unmarked. From the wisdom of Adrian Stevenson I was able to find that this Eichhorn mark was used between 1906-1921. That said I'm wondering about the slight differences in the cypher. The seller is asking $200 per having declined my on the spot, un-researched offer of $150 per.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two Imperial Swords; Identification Inquiry
    P
    Many

They are the Model M1889 Infantry Officer sword (folding clamshell version). Do the scabbards have one or two rings?

And they are both Prussian, a photo of the blade would be nice. You mentioned polished blade, probably nickel plated.

Each scabbard has one ring. I met with the seller again today to provide some new photos and perhaps some new insight into these. One example does appear to be longer than the other. No markings or engravings aside from the Eichhorn mark are visible.

A couple of nice swords, the adoption of a single hanger ring was in 1906 and from 1911, scabbards were painted black, formerly nickel plated. These are standard private purchase swords for a Prussian infantry officer. I have the exact type in my 1905 Eickhorn catalogue. Sword length varied on the height of the officer. So you bought your sword to match your height, there was a formula and a range of lengths were available.

Beautiful swords! I own one of these myself, with a different handguard. (The Version where you cant fold the eagel) I think 200 for each is a very good price, and i would definitly buy them.

The one i own is in awfull condition, and i well overpaid for it, but it has the crest of one of the Nobles of my hometown engraved, so i had to have it...