Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown item

Article about: Hello everyone, was going back through my imperial items and I'm absolutely stumped by what this is. Not sure if its even imperial or military related at all. Was hoping someone could help m

?

Default Unknown item

Hello everyone, was going back through my imperial items and I'm absolutely stumped by what this is. Not sure if its even imperial or military related at all. Was hoping someone could help me identify this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown item   Unknown item  

Unknown item  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown item
    P
    Many

Is it a cufflink?

?

I'm not sure what it is exactly. It being a cufflink is definitely a possibility

The design is known as a buttonhole badge, it would be ‘placed’ in a buttonhole on a shirt or jacket for example.

I’m reading OVD, so I’m wondering if it could stand for.... Possibly East German Army Duty Officer OvD – “Offizier vom Dienst..

But I really don’t know.

It is a button hole badge, not east German by any means I would say, likely imperial or Reichswehr but good thinking.
    Possibly a Personal monogram, a veterans organisation, workers union something along those lines would be more likely.

Morris

?

Hello Wally6,

I agree with Morris it's definitely a buttonhole badge.

The colors red, white and black were used from 1867 to 1871 to identify merchant and warships of the North German Confederation, from 1871 to 1919 they were the colors of the national flag (officially set in 1892) of the German Empire, from 1919 to 1933 the colors were still used by the German Navy and from 1933 to 1935 they were temporarily the colors of the flag of the Third Reich. Since these colors have been used for so long for different purposes, it is difficult to say what time the buttonhole badge comes from. The time of the German Empire or the Third Reich seems most likely to me.

In my opinion, it is a membership badge of a German officers association. Such associations used to exist in every major city in Germany. This would match the inscription OVD as well. OV could stand for "Offiziersverein / Officers Association" and the D for the first letter of the city in which the association was located. I was looking if the city could be determined but there are just too many big cities in Germany that begin with a D, such as Dresden, Düsseldorf, Duisburg, Darmstadt, Dortmund etc.

I hope I could help you a little and maybe another member of our forum can tell us more about this interesting piece.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

Wow thank you so much for the info Wolf, I'm sorry that I didn't see it till now, but it is much appreciated