Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unusual Little Silver 'Pour le Merite' Badge / Brooch - 'The Blue Max'

Article about: I've just picked up this little badge or brooch. It's about an inch across and enamelled. The marks on the reverse show that it is in solid Irish silver, assayed in Dublin and made in 1966.

Robin, I know nothing about Irish silver marks, and I am sure you are right, but the AMICO stamp is clearly visible on the back of that medal, and it looks just like the maker's mark on the back of some of my WWII USAAF wings. I agree that the medal you posted could have been any of the things you suggest as possibilities, and I have no explanation for why there are two maker's marks on the back. But I still believe it is a piece of costume jewelry marketed to the general public. Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual Little Silver 'Pour le Merite' Badge / Brooch - 'The Blue Max'
    P
    Many

Mark of AMICO v. the Irish company ......................

.................. close, but no cigar !!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Little Silver 'Pour le Merite' Badge / Brooch - 'The Blue Max'   Unusual Little Silver 'Pour le Merite' Badge / Brooch - 'The Blue Max'  

CBH
    ?

I would be inclined to agree with Robin, not an actual movie prop but a keepsake for the Cast and Crew.
    Even today leather jackets hats etc are given out as momentos, in 1966 I'm sure its was more classy like the above.

'The Blue Max' book was just the first of Jack D. Hunter's trilogy of novels describing the life of the fictional WW1 air ace Bruno Stachel ............ and his later Nazi career.

I'm lucky enough to have examples of each of the three books in my collection.

And also examples of each of (the fictional) Bruno's three (original) awards.

Come to think of it ............... I got these through many years of searching, not luck !

OK ................ the PLM is a 57er. (Just like the one on the book cover !)

Still ................... a nice comparative set.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Little Silver 'Pour le Merite' Badge / Brooch - 'The Blue Max'  

The movie came out when I was 10 years old. So did the the song Snoopy vs. the Red Baron.
    I was living in Yuma Az. at the time and from our school playground we could see the crop dusters
    who still flew old biplanes at that time buzzing the fields.

It's no wonder I developed a interest in ww1 German items and history.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Coincidentally, the film was on the box again last night ................... first time I've watched it in over 50 years !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Little Silver 'Pour le Merite' Badge / Brooch - 'The Blue Max'  

That is an intriguing item. And of course the best thing about the movie was Ursula 'Un'dress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2