Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

White/Gold Iron Cross

Article about: Hello Everyone, I recently bought this iron cross from someone who got it in the 1970s with a group of all original items. I've never seen an iron cross colored like this and i would really

Default White/Gold Iron Cross

Hello Everyone, I recently bought this iron cross from someone who got it in the 1970s with a group of all original items. I've never seen an iron cross colored like this and i would really appreciate and ideas this forum has about this piece.
    White/Gold Iron Cross
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture White/Gold Iron Cross  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement White/Gold Iron Cross
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

It appears that someone at some time in the past painted a standard WW1 era EK2 silver and gold. Certainly not done prior to 1945.

Possible the cross itself is not original but that is not my specialty. Others should be around shortly to confirm that.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I don't believe this is an original WW I EK II.
    There seems to be a real lack of details on the outside corners of the frame beading.
    Also, I don't ever remember seeing a "9" like that before.
    Jump rings were usually soldered on the sides of the frame, not on the top of the frame.
    Wait for Greg, AKA Chopperman, he will have a better idea than me.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

The Gold part doesn't seem to be paint though, the actual metal is that color. i thought maybe the metal was treated with acid to make a gold color but usually that causes heavy oxidation afterwards. The w in the center has the same gold color as the metal on the shell. the center seems painted but done very well. why would you say its certainly not done prior to 1945 it seems pretty old

This is the first one I have ever seen white a painted core.--I like it.

There has been a lot of debate over the years about this style of cross.
    They are not an awarded style cross. Most people believe that they were made
    at the end of ww1 for the souvenir market however some think that they were
    made for use in the theater.

They are all made in one piece and all seem to be made of brass or brass mixture.
    They are easily recognized by the very small crown. I have seen several posted
    over the years and I own one myself. Like I mentioned, yours is the first I have seen
    with a painted center which makes me wonder when it was painted. If you ever want
    to sell it, let me know. I like adding odd and unusual pieces to my collection.

Mine--
    Attached Images Attached Images White/Gold Iron Cross 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Well, I happily stand corrected and will always defer to Greg.

Sorry I thought the frame was painted as well. Thus assumed, someone it tarted up. I was not aware these souvenir styles existed

My conjecture on post 45, was that an original would not have been defaced by a vet or German given the honor these awards represented. And was thus done probably after WW2 by someone else in another country (but just as well I could have said post '18.

But alas, Greg has now identified what it is. And the mystery partially solved and I was wrong.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you MAP, rbminis and Chopperman for the help I'm really glad to finally know what this is. And Greg I'll message you first if i decide to sell it, thanks so much.
    Best regards

You're welcome.
    I'm happy that I could help.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.