Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 EK1 restoration

Article about: Hello everyone, I want to share my latest project. I really don’t pretend to have a job done professionally. When writing the title of the post, I thought what it should be. Restoration, r

Default WW1 EK1 restoration

Hello everyone,
    I want to share my latest project. I really don’t pretend to have a job done professionally. When writing the title of the post, I thought what it should be. Restoration, repair, or maybe ruining?
    First of all, on eBay I bought the CD EK1 cheaply. Unfortunately the core was rusty and EK separated by parts ... I was lucky and found another core (EK2) to buy. And what I really liked was that it was from the same CD manufacturer. Thanks to Chopperman for confirmation. Also thanks to the Unimarc. He had a similar project: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...lf-ek1-408461/
    So about everything in a row:

1. My starting point.

WW1 EK1 restoration
    WW1 EK1 restoration
    WW1 EK1 restoration

2. The EK2 core was sanded to the required thickness. The EK1 frames cleaned from the rust. Old paint from the EK2 core removed (Used gas torch and brush with soap). 9 and 3 o'clock hands gently sanded to remove scratches. The surfaces is roughened for better adhesion.

WW1 EK1 restoration
    WW1 EK1 restoration
    WW1 EK1 restoration

3. The core of EK2 was painted. I tried to avoid "too much new and shiny" look. Next to the rusted one in picture.

WW1 EK1 restoration

4. Everything was calculated and aligned. The core was glued to the base. The top frame was glued to the base. A special epoxy resin for the metal was used. It is a pity that I have neither the tools nor the knowledge to solder such small metal parts. This would have been my first choice.

WW1 EK1 restoration
    WW1 EK1 restoration

5. I am very pleased with the result I plan to exhibit it next to the original rusty core. I covered the rusty core with double boild linseed oil so that it would not further rust or crumble.

WW1 EK1 restoration
    WW1 EK1 restoration

Please express your opinion. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 EK1 restoration
    P
    Many

I know many people argue against restoration on principal, but in this case the result was definitely worth the effort. I on occasion do sympathetic restoration or stabilisation of pieces that are deteriorating in the knowledge that the piece is no longer 'original', but the results sometimes justify the effort, as in this case.

VtwinVince, thank you for your opinion and kind words. I know the answer is not straight. In this case, I did everything as it seemed to me. I only asked myself I didn’t feel good holding the broken things I bought in my hand. Now holding the end result in my hand, I feel good. I was pleased with the end result. You could say I was selfish.

You've done a fantastic job, for something that may have well been thrown away, love the display picture too
    Cheers
    Paul

sdainius,

I must say your restoration work is very impressive! Well done!

Joel

Well done Projekt