Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German honour cross with swords.

Article about: Hey guys, Annoyed from this ads?   Just got this today. I'm going through a bit of a WW1 binge.....at the moment. ha ha. I'm pretty sure it's a Honour Cross with swords, (combatants ver

?

Default WW1 German honour cross with swords.

Hey guys,

Just got this today.
    I'm going through a bit of a WW1 binge.....at the moment. ha ha.
    I'm pretty sure it's a Honour Cross with swords, (combatants version)
    Das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/18 issued in 1934 to commemorate service in WW1.

I hope that's right?

Need to find the other three classes: 1. Cross of Honor for frontline soldiers (Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer). It was awarded only for the military personnel of the Imperial Army and Navy who had engaged the enemy in frontline combat. 2. Cross of Honor for war participants, i.e. non-combatants (Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer). It was awarded to military auxiliary personnel such as administrators and medics, as well as to civilians (state officials, etc.). 3. Cross of Honor for next-of-kin (Ehrenkreuz für Hinterbliebene). It was issued to widows and parents of those who were killed or died during WWI or were missing in action.

Thanks guys, more to come......

Enjoy

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German honour cross with swords.   WW1 German honour cross with swords.  

WW1 German honour cross with swords.  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 German honour cross with swords. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German honour cross with swords.
    P
    Many

?

A good looking cross by unknown maker G 17

Quote by Danger View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's a Honour Cross with swords, (combatants version)
    Das Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/18 issued in 1934 to commemorate service in WW1.

I hope that's right?

Need to find the other three classes: 1. Cross of Honor for frontline soldiers (Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer). It was awarded only for the military personnel of the Imperial Army and Navy who had engaged the enemy in frontline combat. 2. Cross of Honor for war participants, i.e. non-combatants (Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer). It was awarded to military auxiliary personnel such as administrators and medics, as well as to civilians (state officials, etc.). 3. Cross of Honor for next-of-kin (Ehrenkreuz für Hinterbliebene). It was issued to widows and parents of those who were killed or died during WWI or were missing in action.
    I'm afraid your information is not quite correct.

"Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges 1914/1918" is the general term for this decoration of which three (not four) categories/classes existed.

What you have here actually is the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.

The Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer was awarded to German nationals who had served between 1 Aug. 1914 and 31 Dec. 1918 with Germany's own armed forces or those of one of her allies. It was also awarded to civilian auxiliary and medical personnel (such as Red Cross members) who had served at least temporarily in a war zone.
    (It was not awarded to state officials etc. unless they qualified under one of the aforementioned criteria.)

The Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer was awarded to German nationals who, apart from fulfiling the above conditions, had participated in at least one battle, armed engagement, position warfare or siege during the aforementioned time period. Naval personnel qualified if their ship was engaged at least once in action against an enemy or had partaken in certain other qualifying activities, such as mine clearing.
    (Of course, medics, administrators etc. qualified for this decoration if they met the required conditions. The distinction between the categories did not depend on the applicant's military occupational specialty, but the actual nature/conditions of his wartime service.)

The Ehrenkreuz für Hinterbliebene was awarded to the widows and parents (including stepparents or adoptive parents) of WW1 soldiers who had been KIA, had died as POWs or from the aftereffects of wounds suffered in action or who had been declared missing. Widows had to have been married to the deceased/missing soldier prior to 31 Dec. 1918. In the case of the parents, the cross was awarded to the father, after his death (or if he had already died prior to 1934), the mother was eligible.

This particular decoration is a collecting interest of mine; have a look at my thread:

The 1914/1918 Ehrenkreuz

?

Cheers HPL.
    It's great having people who know their stuff and can help us get
    the right info.
    so often info is passed on as fact and it keeps going.
    nice to have the correct info and to learn from the masters.

- - ------- - -

I forgot to ask if anyone knew the marker G17?

Quote by Danger View Post
    I forgot to ask if anyone knew the marker G17?
    Mentioned in post #2.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

nice one.

?

Cheers guys.
    how many makers were there?

Here is a nearly complete list
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German honour cross with swords.   WW1 German honour cross with swords.  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thanks mate. I see G17 there. Phew.....