Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Photograph of Officer, awards etc?

Article about: I bought this in a pile of WW1 Photographs. Does anyone have an idea of what rank, regiment (cavalry or infantry) etc the guy may belong to by his uniform etc? Also his awards? (EK1?). Thank

Default WW1 German Photograph of Officer, awards etc?

I bought this in a pile of WW1 Photographs. Does anyone have an idea of what rank, regiment (cavalry or infantry) etc the guy may belong to by his uniform etc? Also his awards? (EK1?).

Thanks!

WW1 German Photograph of Officer, awards etc?

Default Re: WW1 German Photograph of Officer, awards etc?

The only award I see is the Iron Cross 2nd class.
    The lanyard on the right shoulder denotes something
    but I do not know what.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Friedland......a nice relaxed posed studio photograph of an elderly and portly (not unlike myself !) soldier. From the details on the photograph, I can give the following observations....He wears the field grey Model 1907/10 uniform with NCO lace (Tressen) around the collar and cuff, this would normally indicate the rank of "Unteroffizier", but this man wears an Model 1910 Officers cap with Officers cockades and wears a sword with an Officers knot....this makes him a "Fahnrich", an Officer candidate, and with the sword displaying an Officers knot and the cap with Officers cockades he has passed his Officers exam, this allows him to wear/display these items...He is IMO a Fahnrich in a Foot Artillery Regiment, as his tunic displays "Brandenburg" style cuffs (Artillery wore swedish cuffs) these were worn by the Infantry, but also by Foot Artillery Regiments...the clincher is if this mans lanyard is Infantry or Foot Artillery, the "Lanyard" is a shooting award (Shutzenabzeichen) and in this case it is an Artillery shooting award, as it has two small grenade shaped devices attached to it...Infantry shooting awards had acorn devices attached....so to cap, a Officer candidate of the Foot Artillery ....of which there were twenty regiments of these, sixteen were Prussian, our man IMO displays Prussian cockades on his hat and a Prussian belt buckle.....I would say that the shoulder straps are piped in white, as they should be for Foot Artillery...sadly we can not see the red numerals upon it that would give his regiment ! His sword is an Officers "Dove head" Artillery saber.
    Hope that helps...
    Prost ! Steve.

Well done Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 German Photograph of Officer, awards etc? 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks Greg.....a bit over the top ! and by the way Freidland, Greg was correct about the ribbon on second button hole (as per regs), it is indeed an EK II.
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks Steve. That's absolutely fantastic. I thought after posting the photo I'd get only a few vague details, but you've provided more than I could have hoped for!

Brilliant.