Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Shoulder Board - Information Required

Article about: Hey everyone. Just recently I purchased a group of First World War German and Polish artefacts, (presumed to have belonged to the same soldier) and I was just wondering if anybody could tell

Smile WW1 German Shoulder Board - Information Required

Hey everyone.
    Just recently I purchased a group of First World War German and Polish artefacts, (presumed to have belonged to the same soldier) and I was just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about the Division/Battalion this shoulder board belonged to and possibly who it might have been associated with, and where they might have served.

What would be the rarity of this shoulder board? and how much could they possibly go for on today's militaria market?

Attached below are the photos front and back of the board, it is in quite nice however the back is quite torn from where the button is mounted.
    Any comments, feedback, or information will be highly appreciated, as I am sure somebody on this forum could identify the shoulder board.

Many thanks
    Jacob

WW1 German Shoulder Board - Information RequiredWW1 German Shoulder Board - Information Required

?

This is a Prussian infantry Leutnant's board from any one of a number of regiments that had the "18th" designation. This would include, Infanterie-Regiment von Grolmann (1. Posensches) Nr. 18, Reserve-Infanterie Regiment Nr. 18 or Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 18. There is no way to tell which of these three units it is, unless you have other items from the same soldier that might pin it down.

Numbered officer boards are not that collectible in comparison with other types (cyphered officer's boards, special unit boards, etc.), especially when you cannot say exactly which unit it represents. In the U.S. you are probably looking at around $40 tops for a single board.

Thanks for the informative reply.
    The Prussian items that it was grouped with came along with a few Polish items such as a Polish cap badge and a belt buckle from the 84th infantry division which was in Poland.

I would most likely say the board is from the “Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 18” then which you suggested, which also was situated in Poland.

?

Quote by JakobVonBismarck View Post
    Thanks for the informative reply.
    The Prussian items that it was grouped with came along with a few Polish items such as a Polish cap badge and a belt buckle from the 84th infantry division which was in Poland.

I would most likely say the board is from the “Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 18” then which you suggested, which also was situated in Poland.
    As good a guess as any - white piping does indicate infantry. JR18 was not a monogram regiment