Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”

Article about: Hello all, I was going through my Bayonet’s today to wipe them down and apply a thin coat of oil. I rediscovered this one I purchased a few years back from an old veteran. It’s in very p

Default WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”

Hello all,

I was going through my Bayonet’s today to wipe them down and apply a thin coat of oil. I rediscovered this one I purchased a few years back from an old veteran. It’s in very poor condition and I still don’t know why I purchased it (Probably because it was very inexpensive).

Anyways, it appears that this one was blued at some point (After cleaning off all the rust). What’s also interesting is that the “Butcher” part of the blade has been mostly cut off (Crude job). I still wonder if this happened during the war or post war (But why would somebody cut it off).

I read somewhere that there was a order to cut off the “Butcher” part of the blade during WW1. I also read that there was evidence that hack saw blades were sent to the field so that this order could be carried out.

Any thoughts on this one?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”   WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”  

WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”   WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”  

WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”   WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”  

WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 M1898/05 “Butcher blade”
    P
    Many

A very worn down blade edge, probably post WW1 usage. This one is a Bavarian issued bayonet, cypher is for Ludwig III, 1916. It does still have it's sawback, some were removed in 1917. The idea was really as a tool for pioneer troops and machine gunners to clear vegetation. Nothing more sinister.
    This thread should actually be in the Imperial Forum.

Thanks for the info... and sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

So... do you think work down or cut down post WW1? Also, were these blades ever blued during WW1 or 2? Thanks again...

Blade modification (other than where a sawback was removed) wouldn't have happened during WW1. Blued blades would indicate post WW1 refurbishment. Many of this type were used by the Polizei and sometimes blades have been reshaped to conform to the S84/98 dimensions during Weimar era.