MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Silver Wound Badge

Article about: Not sure about this badge, the rim and thickness of it suggest it is a casting but the detail on the reverse is very good (unlike a casting). 41.7mm x 38mm, could anyone offer a second opini

Default Verwundetenabzeichen 1914-18 in Silber

Not sure about this badge, the rim and thickness of it suggest it is a casting but the detail on the reverse is very good (unlike a casting). 41.7mm x 38mm, could anyone offer a second opinion please.WW1 Silver Wound BadgeWW1 Silver Wound BadgeWW1 Silver Wound Badge
    Last edited by john matrix; 07-26-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: incorrect terminology

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Silver Wound Badge
    P
    Many

Have you checked if it is magnetic? I remember reading somewhere that the magnetic ones were issued and the non-magnetic ones, although authentic, were made in the 20's and 30's as replacements.

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    Have you checked if it is magnetic? I remember reading somewhere that the magnetic ones were issued and the non-magnetic ones, although authentic, were made in the 20's and 30's as replacements.
    I was just about to ask the same question because if it is magnetic then that makes it steel and I stand to be corrected but I cannot imagine cast steel (or iron for that matter) that thin would even be feasible. I believe the same is true of zinc but I am less sure on the point. It would certainly require such a high degree of technical skill that the cost would be prohibitive. Remember that to produce a casting that looked like this front and back the molten metal would have to be poured into a closed mould as opposed to a one side open mould which would produce a solid single sided piece.

Typically a result like this is achieved by die-stamping (die-forging produces the solid type pieces). It is always best to "never say never" and pictures can be deceiving but I can see no signs of casting and the thickness of the rim would of course be directly related to the thickness of the sheet metal stock used for the blank.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."