Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog

Article about: Just came across my first German WWI bayonet. Please view these pictures, ask questions, and give me your feedback. My camera is not good at close ups so I will try to explain what some are.

Default WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog

Just came across my first German WWI bayonet. Please view these pictures, ask questions, and give me your feedback. My camera is not good at close ups so I will try to explain what some are. The bayonet is in really good shape. It is unsharpened with a good amount of bluing on the blade. The wood grips are in very good shape. There is a little rust on the pommel. The pommel has a "D" or "O" stamped above the catch. The catch when depressed is stamped "83" on the part sticking out. The on the back of the blade is stamped "16" just below the guard. The Guard is stamped "1920". I am wondering if this is a "saw back" with the teeth removed as the back of the blade has grinding marks. It is ground down almost to the groove.

The scabbard is in very good condition with no dents. It is stamped on the back near the top with "55" and a proof mark looking like a crown with an insignia under it. It is also stamped with "55" and two of these "crowns" on the top of the scabbard throat.

The frog is in good shape. The leather is a little stiff but it is 100 years old. The rivets and stitching are intact. It is missing the bayonet strap. On the rear is stamped "Ln.K../N."

Please have a close look and send your insight please. I so enjoy this forum for this reason, the sharing of information.

Thanks,

William

WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog
    P
    Many

?

Nice!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Nice!
    I will be coming back to Minnesota in September to head to the BWCA again with my oldest son. Going up the Gun Flint Trail this year after two our of Ely.

That'a a nice bayonet and the scabbard and frog are in wonderful condition.
    I agree that it is a sawback that has had the teeth removed.
    Check out this website --- it has a lot of good info on the 98/05 bayos.

GERMAN 98/05 VARIATIONS nA S abg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

My 1968 & 1970 Triumph's.

The bayonet article was good.

William

WWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & FrogWWI German M1898/05 Bayonet, Scabbard, & Frog

Very nice looking bikes.
    gregM

myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Very nice looking bikes.
    My wife is from Hudson, WI.

Quote by wpheaton View Post
    My wife is from Hudson, WI.
    That's about an hour down the road from me.
    gregM

myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    That's about an hour down the road from me.
    East, North, South? I've been going to Hudson for 40 years now.

Can anyone tell me what the different markings mean?
    "55" stamped on scabbard in two place
    "16" stamped on blade back, I assume it is year of production.
    "83" stamped on catch side that protrudes when depressed to release bayo from rifle.
    "Ln.K./N." Stamping on back of leather frog
    Any idea when and how many of these "saw backs" were ground down?

William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast