Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI "LV Gross-Hessen" Vets Insignia, original?

Article about: Greetings, I came across this WWI insignia but can't find any info about it. Is this an original piece?

Default WWI "LV Gross-Hessen" Vets Insignia, original?

Greetings,

I came across this WWI insignia but can't find any info about it. Is this an original piece?

It's post-WW I. This is a sleeve patch for the Landesverband Groß-Hessen [State Association Greater Hesse] of the Stahlhelmbund.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It's post-WW I. This is a sleeve patch for the Landesverband Groß-Hessen [State Association Greater Hesse] of the Stahlhelmbund.
    So absolutely nothing to do w/ WWI? I understand it's a post WWI patch. The listing on John Telesmanich said it was for WWI vets of Landesverband Gross-Hessen. I have absolutely zero knowledge of any of that, I just scooped up the insignia because it looked neat & wasn't expensive. I apologize for my ignorance!
    So i'm assuming it was made between the end of WWI & the start of Hitler's reign?

The Stahlhelmbund was founded in December 1918 and disbanded in November 1935, so we can broadly date the patch to that time period.

I don't think I have any data on when these sleeve badges were introduced or when that particular LV was formed, which would narrow down the timeframe a bit more. (Insignia as well as organizational structure changed over the years.)

Initially, the Stahlhelmbund consisted exlusively of WW I vets, but it started to accept men and youths without prior military service in 1924. (Partly to provide a form of paramilitary training and education to young men in a time period without conscription and partly simply to increase its size and influence and ensure its long-term existence.) So there is an indirect WW I connection: Without WW I, the SHB would never have existed.

For more info on the organisation's uniforms and insignia, have a look at these links:

Stahlhelm - Bund der Frontsoldaten / system of shoulder-belts and special insignia

Der Stahlhelm Photo Reference Thread

Antique Photos - Stahlhelmbund Collar Insignia

Antique Photos - Sleeve Badges of Der Stahlhelm, Bund der Frontsoldaten, 1925-1932

Antique Photos - Stahlhelm Badges
    Last edited by HPL2008; 09-09-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Well, we're lucky. Wim Saris - who is an expert on the SHB and has an extensive archive on this organisation - contacted me with additional info:

The sleeve badges as such were introduced in 1925/26. The LV Groß-Hessen was raised in 1929 when the LV Hessen-Südwestfalen was renamed. The LV was then renamed LV Hessen on 26 November 1933.

So, the patch is from 1929 - 1933.

Good to hear Wim is still taking an interest in the forum, even if in invisible visits.