Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI pickelhaube strange badge

Article about: Hi guys been offered this helmet any thoughts before I pull the trigger. Thanks for looking Gary

?

Default WWI pickelhaube strange badge

Hi guys been offered this helmet any thoughts before I pull the trigger. Thanks for looking Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI pickelhaube strange badge   WWI pickelhaube strange badge  

WWI pickelhaube strange badge   WWI pickelhaube strange badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI pickelhaube strange badge
    P
    Many

The wappen plate looks like that of a Dragoner (Mounted troops) with a rounded spike has rather than the earlier cruciform type. The spike, wappen and the rear spine all appear to have similar ageing which is good to see.

My experience with these is limited so please wait for the advice of our more experienced haube collectors.

My guess also was that he belonged to the Dragoons.
    After 1867 (because of the round base) and before 1895 (because of the non-vented rear spine)
    But this is just a guess on my part.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Thank you guys for looking . can't wait to look at it in hand in the morning. Gary

?

Well I picked it here are a few more photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI pickelhaube strange badge   WWI pickelhaube strange badge  

The eagle is a Jaeger zu Pferde eagle for a metal lobster tail helmet. (It is incorrect for this helmet).

The "F.A.R. 62" marking inside your helmet stands for Field Artillery Regiment #62

The explanation for the non-ventilated backspine on the helmet is on the line above. The helmet is Field Artillery Regiment (which were considered mounted troops), and used a non-ventilated backspine which would be correct for this helmet. Foot Artillery Regimets wore vented backspine because as their name indicates, they were "foot troops".

Soooooooo, you have a basically messed-up, put-together helmet that should have a Prussian line eagle front plate on your new helmet. It should also have a brass artillery ball instead of the spike on your helmet.

Sorry, but I sure hope you got a good deal on it. It can be restored/properly re-configured, but it's going to cost you money to do so...

Best Regards,

Alan

I would have chimed in earlier, but I was away from home for the weekend and did not have internet access. And believe it or not I still don't have an "American Zombie Maker Smart Phone" which turns many Americans into Zombies and makes them act like opiod or heroin addicts in the workplace, in public, and as drivers of vehicles when they are addicted to their smart phones, constantly needing to be on their phones every second of the day to be entertained. (L.O.L.)

As a side note, I'd be happy to trade you a correct spare brass enlisted pattern Prussian eagle front plate that I have for your Jaeger zu Pferde eagle front plate. I would be willing to add some money to the trade as well, because your eagle is worth more than a standard brass Prussian enlisted pattern eagle which would be correct for your Field Artillery Helmet. Let me know if you would be interested.

Best Regards,

Alan

?

Hi Alan thank you for posting and yes I got it for a very good price. I will think about your offer . thank you again .

Gary,
    I was way way off on my guess. I hope that my poor judgement
    did not cause you to buy something that you really did not want.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

No Greg this helmet is in such good shape and for the price I figured I could always get a new from plate . you don't find the shell in this kind of shape that often . the hard part will be finding the ball . Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast