Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?

Article about: Hello all, Summer collecting has brought me some interesting finds lately that ill share soon. Today I came across this number and wondered if it was worth an hour drive. The seller has it p

Default 1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?

Hello all,

Summer collecting has brought me some interesting finds lately that ill share soon. Today I came across this number and wondered if it was worth an hour drive. The seller has it priced at $125, but I imagine I could get it for a flat $100. Ive done some preliminary research and feel this is a 1902 era artillery tunic, however I can't decipher the patches and their meanings. Your wisdom is appreciated.

Warm regards to all
    1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?

*I just now noticed the typo in my title. My apologies.
    Last edited by Midwest Picker; 07-05-2019 at 07:43 PM.

I personally would walk that entire distance if it were an hours drive away from me if I had to. I personally think it's a deal but that's up to the judgement of others! It seems a bit rough but I love it.. I am envious of your chance to get a nice set like this if it's what I think it is.

This is a very interesting NCO Dress uniform and the rate on the sleeve is for a first class gunner of the mine company, mine planter service, which was part of the Coast Artillery Corps..

The red cord is known as the Breast Cord which would further identify the uniform as a full dress NCO uniform. Another name for the breast cord was "cords and waffles" (The flat cloth padded woven piece looks similar to a waffle, hence the name)…

Here is some more information about the insignia and the connection to the Coast Artillery Corps...

https://cdsg.org/wp-content/uploads/...ACinsignia.pdf

This link posted below will show you what the infantry version of the 1902 dress uniform looks like to include the breast cord..

Couple of Interesting Pre-WW1 Army Uniforms. - PHILIPPINE INSURRECTION - U.S. Militaria Forum

If I were you I would be sitting in front of this house waiting for the door to open.. The $125 price is too good to pass on.. I would pounce on this in a millisecond..

Good luck and if you get this uniform please take more pictures

Smitty

Rakkasan187,

Thank you beyond words for your wisdom on this grouping. I messaged the seller with my interest and have been told that tomorrow is the day. Hopefully, things go well and I can bring this lovely item home. If and when I do, I will attach some quality photographs to this thread. Thank you again for your wisdom and guidance.
    Warm regards

MedicalAmmunitionCrate,

Thank you for your guidance on this grouping. As I mentioned to Rakkasan187, I will be making the drive tomorrow. Hopefully I can share some pictures on this thread of the new piece. I found this by chance in my usual scrolling. I assumed it was a US Marine Dress Uniform at first glance given the red piping, however I felt the breast cord looked older given the delicate knot style, etc. Thank you again and warm wishes!

Good luck,,

Hope that you can pick up this uniform. For the era and age it looks like it is in decent condition..

Well worth the drive and $125.00 price tag..

While you are there see if you can get any other information about the uniform, a name, etc. paperwork is sometimes more valuable than the actual uniform, and if you can find and get paperwork to accompany the uniform, then you have added value to the grouping.. Ask the sellers if they have any information at all.. These can be research with a fair amount of ease if you know what to look for.. There may also be some other items associated with the uniform so look for anything military related to include medals..

GOOD LUCK...

Smitty

WOW! After following the guidance of Rakkasan187 and MedicalAmmuntionCrate, I made my way the the eastern side of my state today to pick up a tunic, cap, American legion garrison cap and buckle(less)-belt. When I arrived I was greeted by my seller whose picture I knew from the website and her mother who must have been in her nineties. Here is the story that followed;

Stepping into a small enclosed porch in a condo I greeted the two who had the items I was slated to buy setting on a couch, along with several other items. As I looked at them I realized these included several American Legion medals and a First World War German belt buckle (it clicked then that this almost 100% went with that odd belt I had seen in the pictures. I attempted to do some haggling, but ended up paying the full $125 for the original grouping. In an effort to keep the items together, I made an offer of for the other items which, after some back and forth, was minimally revised and accepted.

Before I parted ways, I asked the older of the two about the items. Did they belong to a family member?, etc. This is what she told me; Several years ago, pre-2010, she had become well acquainted with her neighbor in her housing complex. As the woman's health failed, her friend, the seller, took care of her as best she could. Prior to the woman's passing, she left her worldly possessions to the seller in her will, with the stipulation that her small dog be cared for until its passing. This was around 2010. For years, the woman's home and possessions sat untouched however in recent weeks the seller decided it was time to part with several of the items. Thus the uniform found itself listed. The uniform it seems had belonged to the seller's friends father. She had kept it since his passing along with the items I purchased.

After pleasantries and warm conversation, I parted ways and began down the road. A few minutes later my phone dinged with a message. "We found more if you want to come back". Certainly I did. So I turned around and headed for the complex. Back at the condo, I was presented with the gentlemen's service Bible which, inside its cover, listed his name, location (France) and address information (regiment, etc.). It also listed the gentlemen's rank at that time as Corporal. Along with this, the seller had found two images of the gentlemen which, along with his name plate from his office, she presented to me for free with the Bibles purchase. I was thrilled to get these images as through them I was able to get to know the original owner not only in name but in face.

Thus I finally left and made the long trip home. In total I spent around $205.00. Most of my money goes toward textbooks these days, however I was honored to meet the seller and her daughter, spend the money and learn about the man who once wore this uniform in the process.

Thank you to those who helped guide me to the decision to take a chance on this item. I'm glad I did.

1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?1902 US Army Artiller Tunic, Hat, Belt Set, Worth the trip?

Great story and you did extremely well with the additional items to include the name. The uniform looks to be in very good condition for a 100+ year old uniform.. This for me would be the buy of the year...

Now we have a solid staring point to help you with research if you so desire to find out more about the Corporal.

Well Done Picker...

Smitty