Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1907 pattern bayonet.

Article about: Hello guys! First off my apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. First time back on this forum for a very long time haha so please bear with! A recent addition to the collection I

Default 1907 pattern bayonet.

Hello guys!

First off my apologies if this is posted in the wrong section. First time back on this forum for a very long time haha so please bear with! A recent addition to the collection I believe to be a 1907 pattern smle bayonet dated June 1918. My question are the other makers marks including the 34 and the possible oriental stamp markings? Many thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1907 pattern bayonet.   1907 pattern bayonet.  

1907 pattern bayonet.   1907 pattern bayonet.  

1907 pattern bayonet.   1907 pattern bayonet.  

The odd markings on the pommel appear to be where the original serial number was erased with a punch. A lot of these bayonets were refurbished in the interwar years, which might also explain the '34' marking on the ricasso. Not an expert, but hopefully this gets the ball rolling!

B.B.

?

I agree with B.B. its an original serial number that's been crossed out - usually its a single line struck through the old number but the armourer on this one really didn't want the old serial seen. Or it could be some language I don't recognise. Made by Wilkinson in July 1918 and looks like it was refurbed in 1934 and again in 1938 at Enfield. A worn "been there" example but everything is where it should be and the scabbard matches with a teardrop stud and frog.

Alex

I will say it is strangely marked or rather re-marked. I agree with both comments above. the crosshatch markings are the the cover up of an original SN not a form of foreign writing. I also think it’s is that an 8 has been restamped over the 7 in 1907. Interesting example to say the least

Thank all you gentlemen so much! I appreciate the help! I'm usually into german bayonets but started to venture into other areas and and ended up picking this up. Questions arisen from this item and thought I know just the guys to ask haha! Did not disappoint, so once again thank you so much

?

Why are there so many different types of tool marks that don't match ? It almost looks like Hiragana, Just my observation, G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1907 pattern bayonet.  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

The piece was more time refurbished, last termin 1938, so this is certainly not a export delivery as still used in Brit.Army in late 1938, the struck dies could be done so that looks like asian letters? i assume there was a unit on pommel which was striked out, most real ended with R stamp, second explanation could be the characters are japanese or east asian country?