Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1917A WW1 US helmet used ad carnival

Article about: hello, I bought this one a few years ago from an English antique store before I had to pay the high importtaxes as Britain left the EU. Number in shell : ZB51 According to the seller it was

Default 1917A WW1 US helmet used ad carnival

hello,
    I bought this one a few years ago from an English antique store before I had to pay the high importtaxes as Britain left the EU.
    Number in shell : ZB51
    According to the seller it was painted silver at the top probably because once used at carnival.
    Now I am thinking of removing the silver paint in a safe manner if that is possible....
    Any imput wellcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917A WW1 US helmet used ad carnival   1917A WW1 US helmet used ad carnival  

Hello, since you own the helmet, what has your research pointed to?
    ‘Now I am thinking of removing the silver paint’ Why? Is it 100% messed with? Have you researched the veterans name, ‘E Dixon’ in relation to the artefact helmet you had purchased? Why was this helmet supposedly included in a carnival or parade? Do you have evidence if this was a public event? This could be a complete fabrication, but if there is chance it is not, do not remove anything until, you are sure!
    Don’t mess with if you are unsure! Is my modest advice.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that is wrong comparing to an originial M1917 US helmet (sorry it is indeed a 1917 and not an 1917A helmet) is the fact that it is sprayed with that silver colour at the top. The text on the inside : ' 1917-1918 A.E.F. E.Dixon Motor Truck Co 'C' 116 th Sup. T n' gives it of course a very personal touch. So this would be a logistic company of the American Expiditionary Force. I tried to find this E.Dixon but not always evident to get access to the databases on internet, so I gave it up.
    Of course I am not sure the helmet has been sprayed silver at the top because of a festifity called 'carnival'. This was just a thought of the seller. So I think you are right, I probably better let this helmet in the state it is before ruining it....Erwin

This MK2 brodie in my posession was for many years on the grave of a British soldier. 'Please respect the dead and do not remove this helmet......' Here it is quite obvious why this helmet has been sprayed with new paint at the top. So of course in this case I did not even think about removing the new paint...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1917A WW1 US helmet used ad carnival   1917A WW1 US helmet used ad carnival  

Default Elmer Dixon 1898 to 1951

Greetings,

Your helmet's owner was Elmer Dixon of Madison, Lake County, South Dakota, USA. Here is his Find-A-Grave's page Elmer Dixon (1898-1951) - Find a Grave Memorial You can view on his headstone 116th Supply TN. On his Headstone's Application Card, we can view his rank Corporal and his Company "C," which matches nicely with your helmet.

His Obituary:

Likely others will add his draft card and his WWI Ship's Transport Manifest. Unfortunately, I could not find a photograph of him to share.

On the helmet's silver color, my supposition is he participated in a post war veteran's parade or ceremony and was part of his veteran organization's color guard/drill team, which may of resulted in the helmet's painting. There were lightweight "chromed" or nickel plated helmets made for just these events and I can easily view the veteran's forgoing the additional expense and just painting their helmet's silver for some such veteran's event(s).

Best,

V/r Lance

Nice looking helmets. Rest in Peace to Chiswick Church and Elmer Dixon.

Lance, thank you soooo much for making the effort to give this helmet a face, even without a photograph.....This helmet will never be the same as I now feel his presence and what the US did for Europe in both world wars !!!!!
    Greetings from Belgium, Erwin

I think Chiswick Church is a church in Chiswick, London with a cimetery.

Interesting and thoughtful thread

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td