Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

American WW1 adrian helmet with unknown US badge

Article about: Hi everyone, I saw this one for sale. Looks great. But I can't find out if this is issued or fantasy. It's not AFS and not used by the 92nd Division Buffalo. Also not by American forces unde

Default American WW1 adrian helmet with unknown US badge

Hi everyone,

I saw this one for sale. Looks great. But I can't find out if this is issued or fantasy. It's not AFS and not used by the 92nd Division Buffalo. Also not by American forces under French command. I could be wrong; I don't have clue. Maybe someone can help.

Thanks Paul

?

Helmets with these badges have come up before and opinions are mixed.
    Unidentified Adrian helmet

WW1 American Adrian Helmet for discussion - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Adrian helmet with US badges on the front are attributed to the American Ambulance Field Service, a volunteer operation before the US declaration of war. From 1917 US soldiers that were issued French helmets either had no badges, the French Infantry badge or the Colonial Infantry badge.

I’ve not come across a photo of a helmet with this badge on, this link is to the AAFS used badge that has photographic evidence.

US Field Service Adrian Helmet WWI

Based on these pictures for me it’s a 'no', the paint is odd it’s looks like it’s been painted recently in some parts but convincing in others, the strap looks repro and the liner I’m also a bit skeptical. It may be that we suspect everything unusual as being fake but you would want to be sure with this.

This is a good link to US used Adrian helmets.
    Americans in French Helmets: The Enigma of the American Adrian

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Steve,

The OP's helmet is actually posted in your first link. Post #21. Looks like the guy on USMF only purchased it in 2020...and is now passing it on.

Irish: Not my area but in researching my AFS helmet I never ran across one like this. I would not take the plunge without further proof. And I agree with Steve, the paint on the exterior looks wonky.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thx gentlemen,

I came across this same helmet on these sites. Also noticed that it was purchased just a few month ago. The owner had the same questions and found no answers. Color should be blue or colonial brown. I can't see blue under the paint. The badge looks like a staff aide badge. But the eagle looks the wrong way and there should be a star or more stars, to point out if the aide was connected to a general of lt. general etc., instead of US.

I'll pass on this one; I'm still confused.

Cheers Paul

I found another picture of this helmet with what appears to be blue on the inside of the dome. Mmmmm...

Cheers Paul

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    The OP's helmet is actually posted in your first link. Post #21. Looks like the guy on USMF only purchased it in 2020...and is now passing it on.
    I didn't read the whole thread, I was turned off at the first helmet. I'm still shamefully jealous of your example.

Steve.

?

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    I came across this same helmet on these sites. Also noticed that it was purchased just a few month ago. The owner had the same questions and found no answers. Color should be blue or colonial brown. I can't see blue under the paint. The badge looks like a staff aide badge. But the eagle looks the wrong way and there should be a star or more stars, to point out if the aide was connected to a general of lt. general etc., instead of US.
    You are making the right call to pass on this, it's too lucrative to pimp up an old M15 shell and pass it off as something it's not. I've dipped in and out of collecting French helmets for years and it's a mine field these days.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, I was turned off at the first helmet. I'm still shamefully jealous of your example.

Steve.
    Thanks Steve. It was just one of those items I stumbled upon. I guess I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time.

It was only as I was scrolling through the link that I saw the OP's. Not saying you missed it. Just pointing out to the OP that has already been shown and the guys looked like he was quickly flipping it (never a good sign...I think he got nervous about it's authenticity and wants to cut his loss)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The badge is for WW2 AAFS.