Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Article about: Hi Folks! This beauty was pulled out of the trash heap this morning. It's in such great shape that I think it may be a repro. It's marker marked: H.M.Co. 1915, an ink stamp on the bottom of

Default British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Hi Folks!

This beauty was pulled out of the trash heap this morning. It's in such great shape that I think it may be a repro. It's marker marked: H.M.Co. 1915, an ink stamp on the bottom of the wool cover, AND it seems to be named: "9/1918 N. MC (//) OUALD" (?)

British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!

What exactly do I have on my hands here? Any help is always greatly appreciated!

?

Default Re: British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!

Ooh,, nice. The leather strapping is fine, different dates but pieces break so you cobble together. If I could find my books I could identify the bottle better. Looks fine to me.

Looks good. Try this site for information.

Karkee Web
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I know this is very late, but I've only recently joined and have been reading some pretty old threads

Anyway, I hope you still have the bottle, as previously mentioned it was used with the Pattern 1903 Bandolier Equipment, it's had the cork replaced at some stage, the original cork used was the same as a standard wine bottle cork, so easily replaced.

From the information you provide it was possible to identify its previous owner -

9/1918 L/Cpl Alan Edward Crichton McDOUALL (1895 - 1964) of 9th Reinforcements, Otago Mounted Rifles 'D' Company, of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

His regimental number could easily be confused with the date 'September 1918'. The numeral prefixes used by the Kiwis were as follows -

1/ - Samoan Advance
    2/ - Artillery
    3/ - NZ Medical Corps
    4/ - Engineers
    5/ - Army Service Corps
    6/ - Canterbury Infantry
    7/ - Canterbury Mounted Rifles
    8/ - Otago Infantry
    9/ - Otago Mounted Rifles
    10/ - Wellington Infantry
    11/ - Wellington Mounted Rifles
    12/ - Auckland Infantry
    13/ - Auckland Mounted Rifles
    14/ - Army Service Corps Divisional Train
    15/ - Headquarters
    16/ - Maori Infantry
    17/ - Veterinary Corps
    18/ - Chaplains Department
    19/ - Samoan Relief Infantry
    20/ - Samoan Relief Mounted
    21/ - Pay Department
    22/ - Nursing Department
    23/ - 1st Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade
    24/ - 2nd Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade
    25/ - 3rd Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade
    26/ - 4th Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade

Cheers,
    Dan

Correctly identified. Just to clarify 9/1918 was Alan McDouall's service number with 9th Reinforcements of the Otago Mounted Rifles, nothing to do with the year. The embarkation of the 9th Reinforcements from New Zealand was on 8 January 1916. They disembarked at Suez Egypt, but later sent to the Western Front and saw action during the battle of Somme.
    McDouall's occupation when he enlisted was clerk from town of Oamaru. The photo below shows the Otago Mounted Rifles meeting the New Zealand Prime Minister, Massey in France in July 1918.
    It's an interesting question how the water bottle ended up in the USA? Possibly McDouall traded it with an American soldier for some other souvenir.

British/ Canadian WWI(?) Canteen FOUND IN GARBAGE!