Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

british WW1 patch?

Article about: british WW1 patch? please give your opinion: British patch from WW1 ?

Default british WW1 patch?

british WW1 patch?

please give your opinion: British patch from WW1 ?
    british WW1 patch?

Are the patch and the photograph definitely connected?

The picture is hard to date with certainty but is of a Leicester Regiment captain. It's difficult to date because he is wearing a WWI type cap often seen in the trencehes but his rank badges are of the type that became the norm in the 1920's.The previous cuff mounted rank badges are the most commonly associated with WWI but both types were worn during the war from circa 1915 and there is no "firm" date for the change with great variation between units. For instance the Highland Light Infantry (HLI) are know to have worn cuff ranks up to the start of WWII.

The colours are difficult to discern but if this is a yellow circle on khaki cloth it could be a variation of that worn by all ranks of 5th Bn Leicestershire Regt circa 1918 (usually with a white centre) However, 5th Bn was a territorial battalion whose cap badge did not bear the "Hindoostan" , that is how it was spelled, scroll (a battle honour) above the tiger.

If the circle is white on black it could be for 20th Independent Infantry Brigade but that wasn't formed until (?) 1940. The officer in the picture doesn't look old enough to be a WWI veteran at the start of WWII which might explain the WWI style cap and he isn't wearing any WWI medal ribbons which for a serving officer post WWI simply would not be acceptable.

So, I suppose the short answer is "not sure".

Not very helpful really but maybe give some inspiration.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

If it is white on black - which I think it possibly is, then it is the Divisional insignia of 6th Division. The 1st Leicestershire's served with 16th Bde - which was part of 6th Division - until November 1915. They then joined 71st Bde - which was also part of 6th Division - and stayed with them until the Armistice.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    If it is white on black - which I think it possibly is, then it is the Divisional insignia of 6th Division. The 1st Leicestershire's served with 16th Bde - which was part of 6th Division - until November 1915. They then joined 71st Bde - which was also part of 6th Division - and stayed with them until the Armistice.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Of course your are spot on Steve and that explains the regular rather than territorial cap badge

My excuse is that I was thinking at unit level and didn't even think about the Division. It was staring me in the face and I couldn't see the wood for the trees!! D'Oh!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

An easy slip-up, Mark. Now don't you go thinking that I'm all clued-up, because I'm not... I just happen to have a good reference book on battle insignia!

Cheers,
    Steve

Thank you for the information. greetings from Austria

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    An easy slip-up, Mark. Now don't you go thinking that I'm all clued-up, because I'm not... I just happen to have a good reference book on battle insignia!

Cheers,
    Steve
    Yes mate but one born of haste, a bit like the old RTFQ (Read the F****** Question) scenario

I expect that your reference library and mine have a surprising amount in common

Regards

Mark