Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Commonwealth use of the M1911 pistol?

Article about: I’ve been trying to look into the use of the M1911 pistol by commonwealth forces. Allegedly it was sometimes used by officers as a privately purchased item. I have seen period made holster

?

Question Commonwealth use of the M1911 pistol?

I’ve been trying to look into the use of the M1911 pistol by commonwealth forces. Allegedly it was sometimes used by officers as a privately purchased item. I have seen period made holsters for the M1911.

I have also seen that the British war office made a purchase of 1911’s and that a number of them were rechambered for a webley round and subsequently issued out in the Royal Navy.

I am interested in finding out the extent to which the M1911 was used in combat by Commonwealth forces, if anyone has any photographs or information I would appreciate it!

I could add that my grandfather, who served in the Royal Navy from WW1 to early 1930's had training in use of the M1911 while in the Navy and in fact I have some documents showing he was well placed in a shooting competition in China in about 1922 using the M1911.

The photo here is NZ Army 3rd Division troops at Nissan Island, Pacific early 1944. The 3rd Division used a mixture of equipment including the M1911 pistol.

Here's one of the private purchase examples which was 1 of 40 shipped to the London Armoury Co on Sept 3 1913, You can see the London proof marks the crown and V. I've read that the 1911 was used by British commando units and the SOE. I'm sure i've seen a photo of a British paratroop officer with a 1911 but i can't find it.

Don't forget the Royal Air force purchase of the 1911A1 in .455 in Auto.

?

Would like to know more about this; "I have also seen that the British war office made a purchase of 1911’s and that a number of them were rechambered for a webley round and subsequently issued out in the Royal Navy. "
    I didn't think the Webley round would be strong enough to operate the 1911. The chamber pressure between the Webley .455 and the .45 APC is very different. Webleys converted to fire .45 APC are not really safe to fire that round in.

The RFC also used them during WW1. Many years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a deactivated RFC marked example, but I didn't bother. Imagine what it would be worth now! I'm almost sure that there was a set of extended magazines with it... but I could be wrong about that bit.