Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fabric cards

Article about: I had a few of these already but managed to pick up two regimental examples, one each for the SWB and the RWF. The SWB card is largely plain on the reverse, though the RWF has been used and

Default Fabric cards

I had a few of these already but managed to pick up two regimental examples, one each for the SWB and the RWF. The SWB card is largely plain on the reverse, though the RWF has been used and has a very interesting note on it.

Dear Maisie,

Just a PC from my little dugout in the west. This card is doubly interesting, it is our regiment and it is being sent from the Trenches, of one of the most bloody battlefields in France.

Etc.......

From Dai in France and sent to Deganwy.

I never saw the reverse before I bought it so it was a wonderful surprise to get it and read the message sent.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fabric cards   Fabric cards  

Fabric cards   Fabric cards  

Fabric cards  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

They are terrific Jerry! I actually have an Aussie one which was sent home to Western Australia in 1917. I'll dig it out tomorrow and take a pic of it. Great stuff mate, I like these!

You tend to see a lot of these that were purchased but never sent out through the mail. This is a nice bonus to have one which was posted.

My Dad was a picture framer for 38 years and he says that he has framed up thousands of these over the years.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

as you say Ade, most I see are not used and are similar to the others I have, those for particular regiments are harder to find and more expensive, but to get a regimental example for the RWf which has such a great text on it is so cool IMFO.
    Regards,

Jerry

The Price family are on the 1911 census at the address on the card when Maisie, real name Mary, was 16 and they were from llambedrgoch on Anglesey and are listed there in the 1901 census.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fabric cards   Fabric cards  

Regards,

Jerry

Here is my postcard Jerry, like yours it was actually posted home although mine was posted from Belgium. Two fabric postcards sent to opposite ends of the Empire from the same war!Fabric cardsFabric cards

Very nice Dave, I don't see Aussie cards for sale, that would be a rare one over here I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

They're not especially uncommon here mate, I've certainly seen quite a few but they are nice things to have. I'll keep my eyes open for another one mate, if I can get hold of one at the next military fair I'll grab you one and send it to you.

?

Here's a card showing the flags of the allies, it was obviously meant for a soldier to send home to his mum.

It contains a smaller card in a pocket under the silk flap (the yours for ever card in the scan) which has a message written on it from Heinrich to his sister Minna back home. It's dated 19/4/18 and was probably bought in a shop or found by Heinrich some time after the successful start to Operation Michael.

There isn't anything written on the reverse of the full size card.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fabric cards  

An interesting example Tony, not seen one used by the germans previously.

My other fabric cards.

Fabric cards   Fabric cards  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast