Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Finding "Uncle" Joe on the Somme

Article about: I've been intending to post this for a while, and whilst isnt actually about ww1 relics it does start with one. Back when I was smaller in the early 80s I found 2 old medals in an old wardro

Reg
    ?

Yes, the dispersion was certainly a factor latterly in the war after the mauling on the Somme but I've since found out he was born in Warwick so maybe that was a factor ? One of those little details lost to history I suspect. Cheers. Reg

Hello Reg,

I sincerely hope that you do not mind me posting the following for you, if you have seen them before, please accept my apologies :

Private 5000 Joseph Naylor Medal index card

CWGC details on Private Joseph Naylor

Joseph Naylor Name appears on Pier 9 of the Thiepval Memorial section J 3rd Column (click to enlarge the photographs)

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Reg,

After searching Find my Past and the IWM Lives of the 1st World War, I came across the following Memorial to 3 Soldiers who died in WW1, Joseph Naylor, Killed in action 25th July 1916, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

The Memorial plaque is situated on the North wall of the Nave in All Saints Church, Yew Tree Lane, Bradley, Derbyshire, DE6-1PG, (WMR 14428).

Memorial which lists Joseph Naylor (double click the photograph to enlarge in a new page) again if you have already seen this, please accept my apologies

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Reg,

As with Andrzej's posts, if you have seen these documents/images already then, many apologies. I realize these documents do not necessarily address your question, but I simply wished to contribute something, which may have not been viewed before.

V/r Lance

Effects roster:

And several pension documents:

Reg
    ?

Wow! Sincere thanks ! All but the medal card are new documents to me and to my regret I've never actually visited the memorial plaque in Bradley church, he is also on a memorial in the next village too which seems rare. I appreciate the interest in this now, rather old thread and the new details.

Thank you again 😃

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2