Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First World War Binoculars

Article about: Hi all, I wanted to show what I think are First World War binos. The pair on the right are marked with a Broard Arrow and MK V WIDE 25630, also has M G on it which could be makers mark? Any

Default First World War Binoculars

Hi all, I wanted to show what I think are First World War binos. The pair on the right are marked with a Broard Arrow and MK V WIDE 25630, also has M G on it which could be makers mark? Any info would be very helpful.

The left hand pair are just marked Lemaire Fabt Paris on the eye pieces and LENT BY Wm Mc Phail, Kathereen, Scotstounhill, NSL, N 1113. I know that civilians loaned items such as binos to the military during WW1, could these be such a pair? Its just I cant think of another reason for someone to engrave it on there. Anyway, all opinions are most welcome.

Thanks. First World War BinocularsFirst World War BinocularsFirst World War Binoculars

?

Default Re: First World War Binoculars

These are certainly WWI style; I couldn't tell you much about the maker's mark but I own a similar pair of binoculars which've been confirmed as WWI.

kc1
    ?

If they were lent by a Jock he's probably still waiting for them.

haha

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Hi all, I wanted to show what I think are First World War binos. The pair on the right are marked with a Broard Arrow and MK V WIDE 25630, also has M G on it which could be makers mark? Any info would be very helpful.

The left hand pair are just marked Lemaire Fabt Paris on the eye pieces and LENT BY Wm Mc Phail, Kathereen, Scotstounhill, NSL, N 1113. I know that civilians loaned items such as binos to the military during WW1, could these be such a pair? Its just I cant think of another reason for someone to engrave it on there. Anyway, all opinions are most welcome.
    The pair on the right are definitely military issue. To give them their 'stores nomenclature' they are "Binoculars, Mark V, Wide, in leather case, with shoulder strap". The Mk V binos came in 'medium', 'narrow', and 'wide' sizes, and were actually a pre-WWI item considered obsolescent by 1915, although still used throughout the war - the new-fangled prismatic binoculars being the official new issue. I guess you dont have the case, but it came in 6 versions: Narrow Mk I, Narrow Mk II, Medium Mk I....etc.

The left pair I don't know for sure. The British War Department certainly bought in large quantities of 'Trade Pattern' (that is, civilian) binoculars for service in WWI, including French-made pieces. Each different type of bino was identified by a letter (A to T as far as my info goes) and carried in specially made military leather cases marked with the same letter. The official designation was "Case, Binocular, Trade Pattern, D" or whatever letter. I have an example of Binoculars, Trade Pattern, J in their case, which I can photo if you like. Although I can't see any mark on your binos, there is no reason they are not one of the many trade patterns used, but they could also be a private purchase officers pair. They are definitely the right 'type', but who knows...

It's hard to say about the 'Lent by' name. I have never heard of anyone donating binos to the War Department, but Mr McPhail could have donated them to anyone: a school cadet unit, volunteer training corps, the Melrose Birdwatching Society, the Leith Perverts and Peeping Toms Club etc.

Rob