Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

French Adrian Casque du Genie of Three Services

Article about: From the paint layers on this Adrian shell I purchased yesterday at a local antique shop, it would appear that it saw service in La Grande Guerre, La Grand Guerre du Mond en Second, and prob

Default French Adrian Casque du Genie of Three Services

French Adrian Casque du Genie of Three ServicesFrench Adrian Casque du Genie of Three ServicesFrench Adrian Casque du Genie of Three ServicesFrench Adrian Casque du Genie of Three ServicesFrench Adrian Casque du Genie of Three ServicesFrench Adrian Casque du Genie of Three Services

From the paint layers on this Adrian shell I purchased yesterday at a local antique shop, it would appear that it saw service in La Grande Guerre, La Grand Guerre du Mond en Second, and probably postwar Gendarme service as well. It appears from the shape of the now-unfortunately-missing badge to have originally been an engineer's. It looks as though there was a horizon bleu original layer of paint; a later khaki or olive one; and a final darker bleu layer. The underside appears to have never been overpainted, and bears the name of at least one poilu scratched into the rear visor, Rageot.

I thought I'd post photos of the finished restoration job - Thanks to eBay I was able to find reproductions of the Genie insignia and chinstrap, and already had leftover from a previous stahlhelm restoration an unknown liner that although incorrect, was nevertheless a perfect fit.

I essentially have left the finish alone, save from removing a bit of the dark bleu paint to see how it looked underneath, finding more horizon blue and olive. I've aged the insignia to hopefully match the paint on the casque and may do the same on the chinstrap, but basically like the way it compliments the color of the liner, which came in a WWII stahlhelm purchased on eBay and replaced with a correct reproduction.

?

a nice job of bringing it back.