Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French Donald Duck Sailor's Cap

Article about: My son picked up this sailor's cap from the battleship Courbet. Not a lot of WW1/WW2 French caps on the internet, but the interior of this cap looks completely different from the pre-WW2 hat

Default French Donald Duck Sailor's Cap

My son picked up this sailor's cap from the battleship Courbet. Not a lot of WW1/WW2 French caps on the internet, but the interior of this cap looks completely different from the pre-WW2 hats that seem to have a lesser quality, plain black liner as opposed to this liner with a real hat-maker (who I cannot find any information on) and higher quality. Can anybody tell me if this is WWI, or WW2 vintage?

Thank you for any help.

R/Mathieu

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Donald Duck Sailor's Cap  

?

Hello Mathieu

some informations about Courbet:

Courbet (cuirasse, 1911) — Wikipedia

can you tell me what's written under Préfecture Maritime, please

cordially
    Didier

Brest (which obviously was/is the city that is the French Navy's main port).

Just trying to figure out if this is WW1, or WW2 vintage. Were there private purchase hats for enlisted sialors?

Thank you.

?

Hello Mathieu

may I show it on a french forum ? please

I think the maker could be the clue....

cordially
    Didier

Feel free to share it. I came across an old link you posted elsewhere and now that I see there is no stenciled registration number on the inside. If Wikipedia is to be believed, the Courbet did not work out of Brest until 1 July, 1939 where it was assigned to the 2nd Maritime Region as gunnery training ship, so I suppose it is logical to assume the hat made in Brest is from the same time.
    Last edited by Mathieu K; 02-19-2022 at 10:50 PM.

?

Hello Mathieu

Paul Philippe was a hatter born in 1880 in Brest

I look for more info..... wait and see !

cordially
    Didier

?

more

it's an early hat circa 1911-14

a really good item ! BRAVO !

where do you find it ? Europe ?

Didier

Wow. Didier, thank you very much. The photos don't show the age. It looks old in hand. My son found it in an antiques store in Michigan, USA. He has been collecting since he was eight, so he is a seasoned collector now in his 20s.

When I originally looked up the Courbet, the Wikipedia post said she was constructed at the Arsenal De Lorient, but I now see that several naval websites say she was built at the Arsenal De Brest.
    Last edited by Mathieu K; 02-20-2022 at 04:46 PM.

?

Michigan ! amazing !!

This is part of the fun of collecting. You never know where you will find something. Just excited the hat is so early. Could be from the first crew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast