Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Great War/WWII Family Medal Group

Article about: Hello folks. I've never collected WWI specifically, but have always had a soft spot for medals, particularly medal groups. This is one I couldn't turn down. This large grouping contains the

odd to see him in full dress if he was not an old sweat in the coldstreamers. I could not find his mic for them only his later one for the koyli and royal fusiliers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Great War/WWII Family Medal Group  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Is it possible the records concerning his service in the Coldstream Guards were lost or destroyed? The handwriting on the rear of the photograph definitely isn't a recent addition.

B.B.

I was not impugning the validity of the group, I was responding to a comment saying he was a conscript as he only had a pair, the photo of him in full dress suggest he was not a conscript and there is any number of reasons why old hands did not get to france early in the war. You also have the item from the coldstreamers mentioning his death which looks genuine to me.

As regards the lack of an MIC for him in the coldstreams, it only covers his medal issues so it might not mention his pre war service if he did not get any medals whilst serving with the coldstreamers.

You need to find his attestation papers, if they survive, hopefully someone with full membership of ancestry will look them up for you.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I was not impugning the validity of the group, I was responding to a comment saying he was a conscript as he only had a pair, the photo of him in full dress suggest he was not a conscript and there is any number of reasons why old hands did not get to france early in the war. You also have the item from the coldstreamers mentioning his death which looks genuine to me.

As regards the lack of an MIC for him in the coldstreams, it only covers his medal issues so it might not mention his pre war service if he did not get any medals whilst serving with the coldstreamers.

You need to find his attestation papers, if they survive, hopefully someone with full membership of ancestry will look them up for you.
    Apologies for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to imply that you were questioning the grouping's authenticity.

If there is anyone who can assist in recovering George's attestation papers, I'd be very appreciative. The more information I can accumulate on him, the better.

Regards, B.B.

Nice haul Brodie!

Mart

Quote by Jerry B View Post

That was very sloppy of me Jerry... I never noticed his age at death, which just goes to show that you should never make assumptions! Highly likely a pre-war regular, but certainly not a conscript!

jwp
    ?

Great group, my grandfather also served with the Koyli transfering to the 3rd London's when the 6th batt. KOYLI was disbanded in february 1918, he was also at the first day of the battle of Amiens with the 3rd london's being wounded by shrapnel to his chest during the attack on Malard wood. have attached the war diary pages for 8th august if these may be of any use.
    Cheers, John

Brodie please message me. My mother in law is George's great granddaughter. We have found some items you maybe interested in

Default George's attestation papers.

Greetings Brodie,

Apologies for not viewing your request for these papers when you originally made it. But, better late than never, eh?

V/r Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.

A very nice grouping BB. Really tells the story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast