Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period

Article about: a recent arrival to my collection a Grenadier Guards drummers tunic, it has George Vth buttons dating it to after c.1910 and has the paper label glue inside which was no longer used c.1930.

Default Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period

a recent arrival to my collection a Grenadier Guards drummers tunic, it has George Vth buttons dating it to after c.1910 and has the paper label glue inside which was no longer used c.1930.

An added extra is that it still has its board of Ordnance wax seal attached to it which shows it was used a s a manufacturers sealed pattern, though sadly the accompanying paper part of the tag is missing as that would have given it a date of sealing for the pattern.

Even with the wax seal it seems to have seen a hard life, possibly when it was sent out to the manufacturers over the years and treated quite roughly, though it came with a mint NOS set of drummers wings.

I believe sealed patterns were issued early whenever a new pattern was introduced so potentially this could date to c.1910.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period   Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period  

Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period   Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period  

Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period   Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

What a jazzy bit of kit! I love the fringed collar.. weird.
    So frustrating that all the bits with a date on are now gone.. Perhaps the details and trim can be traced down to a specific pattern, but at least you have a very acceptable ballpark.

The original sealed patterns were, indeed, produced early - obviously prior to mass production and distribution of the new garments - though later dated examples could be produced (dated well after initial introduction), if additional samples were required by manufacturers.

Certainly a striking addition to your collection. It would look splendid on a half-mannequin. I’m guessing it was worn with some kind of home service helmet.

Agree on the fringed collar, a drummers only thing apparently, odd

I have a few sealed pattern items, one for a cap shows it was lent out for nearly 20 years in total and one for a button I have seems only to have been sent out once.

I think they wear black overalls/trousers with a red strip and I have some that will look ok on the mannequin I have

I think it depends on order of dress, these days it would be the bearskin but I don't know if they wore either the home or foreign service helmets in earlier times but I think the bearskin, though I found one pic with the peaked forage cap
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period   Grenadier Guards Drummers tunic George Vth period  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.