Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Telescope.

Article about: I have a WWI sighting telescope and was wondering if anyone may know what it was used on. W. Watson and Sons LTD London 1916 No. 4508 Sighting Telescope No.4 Mark III Broad Arrow marked Rob

?

Default Help with Telescope.

I have a WWI sighting telescope and was wondering if anyone may know what it was used on.

W. Watson and Sons LTD
    London
    No. 4508
    Sighting Telescope No.4 Mark III

Broad Arrow marked

Rob

MAP
    ?

I know nothing about these but neat item.

A quick internet search notes that these were used on the 13 and 18 pounder artillery guns during WW1
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello rob W,

an interesting piece that you have there. Everything looks original to me.

The company W. Watson and Sons changed its name to W. Watson & Sons Ltd. in 1908. So that fits the date 1916 on your piece. The company offered photometers, telescopes, prism binoculars, photographic lenses and optical elements in every form. During the First World War they also had contracts with the British Ministry of Defense.

The arrow mark, the so-called crow's foot, shows that this telescope was definitely made for the British military. It can also be clearly seen that it was sold out of government service. In this case a second Crow's foot was added point to point with the first to show it was no longer military property.

Unfortunately, I cannot say which units this telescope used.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I know nothing about these but neat item.

A quick internet search notes that these were used on the 13 and 18 pounder artillery guns during WW1
    I looked all over for that and did not find. Could you share your source?

Thanks

rob

?

Quote by Wolf View Post
    Hello rob W,

an interesting piece that you have there. Everything looks original to me.

The company W. Watson and Sons changed its name to W. Watson & Sons Ltd. in 1908. So that fits the date 1916 on your piece. The company offered photometers, telescopes, prism binoculars, photographic lenses and optical elements in every form. During the First World War they also had contracts with the British Ministry of Defense.

The arrow mark, the so-called crow's foot, shows that this telescope was definitely made for the British military. It can also be clearly seen that it was sold out of government service. In this case a second Crow's foot was added point to point with the first to show it was no longer military property.

Unfortunately, I cannot say which units this telescope used.

Best regards
    Wolf
    Thanks!

MAP
    ?

Quote by rob W View Post
    I looked all over for that and did not find. Could you share your source?

Thanks

rob
    I have zero knowledge in the accuracy of this little "blurb". It's a dealers site that gave this information. But its a lead you can now follow

https://www.m1militaria.co.uk/World-...pe-No-4-Mk-III

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks

?

Default 13 pounder QF

Here is part of the answer, found in the handbook for the 13 pounder QF artillery piece.

State Library Victoria

In the listing of required equipment, it lists a No. 4 Sighting telescope.

MAP
    ?

Fantastic. So you now know it was used on at least this gun, but I'm pretty sure this telescope was probably used on other types of artillery as well.

?

Yes, I'm sure you are correct. I believe it was used in both the Army and Royal Navy.