Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

How to spot WW1 cap badge restrikes/fakes

Article about: Can anyone give me any pointers on how to spot a restrike or fake cap badge? Any help much appreciated.

Royal Fusiliers cap badge, is it brass? not sure from the pictures.

Yep, that is a Royal Fusiliers cap badge and it looks fine to me. This type was in use from the introduction of the khaki uniform so before WWI until a Queens Crown version was produced when Queen Elizabeth II ascended to the throne. It was always an all brass badge so no 1915 economy issue. There is a school of opinion that says that a badge with a full rose petal directly beneath the crown is earlier than one with the gap between petals under the crown but I cannot say if this is so.

This badge was worn in the beret with a white hackle and was replaced when the Fusilier Brigade was formed in 1958 with the badge that is now worn with the red and white hackle by The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers formed in 1968 from the regiments of the Fusilier Brigade.

Don't worry about the dent. If it is an issue you will easily correct it satisfactorily by pressing a ball bearing or marble of appropriate size against the inside of the grenade with your fingers only and "rolling" the dent out. It is hard to tell from your pictures whether the deformation is in from the side or out from the bottom. If it is out from the bottom pressure from the outside maybe more suitable but the principle is the same; just gently and evenly roll the shape back to the circular. As long as there is no crease or split in the metal the result should be pretty good. Don't be tempted to use a flame though as you will badly discolour the metal and this is virtually impossible to correct without real harm to the appearance of the badge.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quoting from your post #2 Watchdog :

'It is most obvious on the reverse where the surface looks almost "melted" rather than the crisp negative image of the obverse'.

The badge in post #10 definitely looks 'melted' at the rear. That would raise a red Flag in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3