Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

How to track down a French veteran

Article about: Hi everyone, I bought a French WW1 blue painted Adrian helmet. It belonged to a surviving veteran of the Great War. His name was Claude Lavillat. Does anyone know how to track down his servi

Default How to track down a French veteran

Hi everyone,

I bought a French WW1 blue painted Adrian helmet. It belonged to a surviving veteran of the Great War. His name was Claude Lavillat. Does anyone know how to track down his service record. My French is a little rusty so maybe someone could help. Also your opinions on the helmet itself are welcome.

Cheers Paul

Sorry, I have nothing to offer in the way of tracking down the veteran but I would like to find out as well, for my own named Adrian. You have a very nice example, great retention of that blue color! This model is in my top three favorite helmets, especially with the veteran visor, they are uniquely ornate. To have found one with the original name like that is something special.

?

Splendid example, Paul.. Well done!
    I particularly love the period repair to the chinstrap. It adds real character and history to the whole piece.

I shall also be interested to learn how to trace veteran details, as I have a number of named uniform items I would love to fill in some history on.. I shall follow this post with much interest.

My very best wishes,
    Stay well,
    Bob

Hi Bob,

It is often much easier to find a name on the roll of honor when a soldier didn't survive. Luckily this guy did because he could keep his named helmet as a momentum. I will keep on trying anyhow.

Cheers Paul

Adrian,

Nice name if you collect Adrian helmets. There are dozens differed types as they were used by the Russians, the Belgians WW1 and 2, the Italians, the Poles, the French (of course) with all the different units WW 1 and 2, the Czech Legion etc. etc.

You will have a journey through history. I hope you will enjoy.

Cheers Paul

?

Hi Paul,
    Do you recommend any sites for the roll of honour?
    I have found one, but (surprise, surprise), nothing I enter has any matches, no matter how much information I may have.. It always seems this way, no matter what sites I use!

Cheers and Bon Chance with your searches!
    Bob

Hello, I have four

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/