Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I’d love to know the story behind this!

Article about: A friend of mine recently bought this item at auction which he agreed for me to share on the forum. We think it is a privately purchased shaving mirror or perhaps it is a a mirror from a hel

Default I’d love to know the story behind this!

A friend of mine recently bought this item at auction which he agreed for me to share on the forum.

We think it is a privately purchased shaving mirror or perhaps it is a a mirror from a heliograph kit.
    Whatever it is, it looks to have withstood the impact of bullet or shrapnel ball. The fact that someone has kept it and gone to the expense of having a Quality frame made for it suggests to me that the mirror has saved the owner from death or injury.
    Any ideas on the true identification of the item would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I’d love to know the story behind this!   I’d love to know the story behind this!  

I’d love to know the story behind this!   I’d love to know the story behind this!  

I’d love to know the story behind this!  

MAP
    ?

Very cool piece of history!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think you have the story spot on. Shrapnel ball IMO. It is typical of private purchase shaving mirrors used at the time. It would be nice to have the whole story and not just half of it, but still a very nice thing.

Very nice piece of history. Thank you for sharing.
    John