Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Italian breastplate "Corazza Farina"

Article about: Hello everyone, I would like to hear your opinion on this Italian WWI breastplate "Corazza Farina". Based on the French inscription on the front, I would assume that this specimen

?

Default Italian breastplate "Corazza Farina"

Hello everyone,

I would like to hear your opinion on this Italian WWI breastplate "Corazza Farina".

Based on the French inscription on the front, I would assume that this specimen was used in Belgium, since the Belgian army also used the Italian breastplate.

What irritates me, however, is the drill hole that can be seen in the photo on the back at the top right, slightly offset below one of the rivets. I'm not aware of any reason why there should be a hole, and I'm not sure if it's contemporary or more recent? I am also wondering if there is a parallel drill hole on the left as well (not visible because of the band that drapes over this spot) and if so what was its function?

I hope that one of you can shed some light on the matter.

Any opinion is highly appreciated.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

It certainly looks good to me... almost a pity that it was written on the face (from a display point of view), but it’s part of its history now.
    With regard to the presence of a hole under the draped strap, the best person to ask would be the seller. I can only imagine it was a mis-drilled hole during construction.

?

Hello Kohima,

many thanks for your response. I have contacted the seller regarding the breastplate. It appears to be just this one drill hole that he claims would have been contemporary and probably intended for a rivet.

So you're probably right that the hole was drilled incorrectly. At least I can't think of any other reason for it, especially as apparently no rivet was put in the hole.

?

I suspect that these Italian breastplates are rather rare, but I'm not very familiar with the area and therefore I don't know if its condition is better or worse compared to other specimens?

So I would really like to hear your opinion on whether you would buy this breastplate in this condition or whether you would wait for a different one?

PS: Of course I know this is purely subjective, but I think it might help me in my decision making.^^

Thank you for your efforts.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

The fact that this example is complete, with all original straps and most of its paint, and given its rarity, I would certainly think it would be difficult to improve upon. Even if a shinier example could be found, would it have this much character?
    As I mentioned, the only thing that, perhaps, detracts a little, is the presence (or, rather, the location), of the writing. A pity he didn’t write on the inside.

I like it !
    Did they have one protection on the helmet ?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

You are absolutely right Kohima. I always have a hard time making decisions when it comes to pieces from areas I feel like I don't know enough about. But it really is a beautiful piece with a lot of character. So I'll try to get it for my collection.^^

It's really a pity that the inscription wasn't placed on the inside. But on the positive side, the inscription tells us more about the history of the breastplate and allows us to conclude that it was probably used by the Belgian Army. Without it, one would probably have assumed that it was used by the Italian army, like most Farina breastplates.

Thank you both for your opinions and advice. You have been a great help to me.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

Regarding your question Lebus12:

The Farina company, which manufactured the "Corazza Farina" breastplate, also produced its own steel helmet, the "Elmetto Farina".

Here are the pictures of such a helmet from an auction in 2022.

The front plate was available in two different versions, like here with a cut-out in the middle or like above in the photo of the Belgian soldiers without such a cut-out.

Best regards
    Wolf

?

I missed the chance, someone else bought it... But there's always a next time. Maybe I'll have more luck then.^^

Anyway thanks again for your help.

Best regards
    Wolf