Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Late Victorian era Engineer bullion trade badge

Article about: I believe this is a late period engineers sleeve badge...I am not sure of the exact era because information is not exactly readily available like TR items but likely 1890-1900 Boer War perio

Default Late Victorian era Engineer bullion trade badge

I believe this is a late period engineers sleeve badge...I am not sure of the exact era because information is not exactly readily available like TR items but likely 1890-1900 Boer War period...this would have been worn on the sleeve, usually on the red tunic above the rank cuffs....I stand to be corrected, info in this area is spotty, any help is much appreciated

front

back

nice threading

with my other Victorian era items

These like all similarly constructed badges are very difficult to date without provenance as the method of manufacture hardly changed over a long period and is still virtually the same today just with more modern materials and machinery. However, the crossed axes badge denotes an Assault Pioneer rather than an Engineer trade and many British regiments have an Assault Pioneer Platoon.

In your group there are two cap badges; one is the 13th Hussars, a cavalry regiment with the Imperial (Kings') Crown so that is post 1901, the other is to the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and looks to be made of brass which would indicate the 1915 economy version which was introduced in many regiments due to nickel being in short supply. If the two cap badges and the medals all belong together the group covers service in both the cavalry and the infantry over campaigns in The Crimea (Crimea medal), Egypt (Khedive Star) and South Africa (Queens South Africa Medal). Of the medals only the QSA should be officially impressed with the recipients detail, the other two being issued un-named. Does the QSA yield any clue? A very interesting group if there is any provenance?

Regards

Mark

PS Looking again now the sun has moved away from my monitor screen!
    It looks like the Duke of Cornwall's LI badge may actually be white metal so given that this pattern was introduced in 1901 it could be earlier or later than 1915 as before 1901 it was worn in brass then again in 1915 the brass economy appeared. The white metal badge was worn with a red felt backing to commemorate the battle of Brandywine in 1777 during the American War of Independence.

Also, can you confirm that the numerals on the 13th H badge are made of white metal? I just can't tell from the picture.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-10-2022 at 11:47 AM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark....thanks for the response...I've posted all of the medals before in the forum...the Crimea medal is un-named, the Khedive medal is unofficially stamped to Oliver King DCLI and the Queens medal is named to Pte J. Larg 13th Hussars...I was trying to get badges close to the period of the medals but it sounds like I missed...

here are some closer photos of the badges....thanks again for your input

Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry

13th Hussars

backside

The DCLI badge is a bit contentious as whilst it is generally accepted that it came into use in 1901 the sealed pattern is dated 7th June 1891. The pattern date does not mean that the badge was issued immediately
    To be sure of Victorian vintage it should be just the stringed bugle and coronet without the 'Cornwall' scroll.

The 13th H is definitely post - Victorian as it has the Imperial or Kings crown as opposed to the QVC. Good to see it has the separately applied white metal numerals. I have never seen an authentic all brass version and whilst there is no official list of 1915 brass economy badges I do not believe there was one for 13th H.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."