Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield bayonet

Article about: Hi, Guys! I have 2 Lee Enfield bayonets. Attaching for a frog of sheath of the first is in the form of a drop, has three rivers and number "264". The attaching for a frog of sheath

Default Lee Enfield bayonet

Hi, Guys!
    I have 2 Lee Enfield bayonets. Attaching for a frog of sheath of the first is in the form of a drop, has three rivers and number "264". The attaching for a frog of sheath of the second is in the form of a circle. I have some question:
    1) the differenсes in an attaching is it just difference of manufacturers?
    2) what bayanet does have more a collection value?
    Best regards, BalaganLee Enfield bayonet

the firstLee Enfield bayonetLee Enfield bayonetLee Enfield bayonetLee Enfield bayonet

the secondLee Enfield bayonetLee Enfield bayonetLee Enfield bayonetLee Enfield bayonet

?

Both P1907 bayonets, first one is Wilkinson production in WW1 period scabbard, important are condition and unit stamps on pommel,the blade was heavy cleaned the second one is probably too Wilkinson even not good visible, this is a july 1917 production, scabbard should be postwar replacement.

?

A post-WW1 replacement yes. The tear drop shape is the earlier form, WW1 and the circular frog stud is the later form, WW2. Give or take a few years. The tear drop shape is the more common as these were made in larger quantities. I don’t see anything in the pictures that would justify a different value.

Thanks guys, I dont need both of them, I guess, I leave the second bayonet (cause it has clear branding and better preservation) and the sheath of the first bayonet, imho such set is more correct))

It appears to me the second one is also Wilkinson marked. The tear drop frog stud was changed to a circular one during WW1 as it was simpler to produce.