Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

Default Light Horse photographs

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.
    I'm not real sure how to upload photos, so this is just a test to see if I've got it right. The one I'm trying to upload is one of my Great Uncle's WW1 photos. He was in the 5th. Light Horse, AIF, and served in Egypt, Palestine, Gaza and Syria, from 1916 to 1919. He brought back 400 or so photos, some taken by himself. Others were Official British War Photographs and some appear to be taken most likely by a Regimental photographer.

Cheers. Willie.

Light Horse photographs

It looks like that uploaded ok.
    Here's a line up of Albions. I've been trying to find out what unit they belonged to. The only marks are a white circle with something in the middle of it, located on the side boards of the tray.

Cheers, Willie.

Light Horse photographs

Excellent Stuff Mate !
    Thanks for sharing , great to see

Great pics Mate,
    I would love to see more,my Great Uncle also was in the 5th LH at Gallipoli in 1915,but he transferred to the 4th Australian Camel Regiment in November 1916.
    Cheers Mick

Great photos mate, thanks for sharing them with us.

What a fantastic record of your Great Uncles service, 400 priceless images.
    Treasures for certain.
    Cheers for posting mate

All the best

Dave

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    Great pics Mate,
    I would love to see more,my Great Uncle also was in the 5th LH at Gallipoli in 1915,but he transferred to the 4th Australian Camel Regiment in November 1916.
    Cheers Mick
    Thanks Mick, that's good to know. There would be a remote possibility that they might have briefly crossed paths.
    My Great Uncle Fred left Australia with the 21st. Reinforcements, 5th. LH Regiment in September 1916, arriving at Suez 0n 24.10.1916. He was posted to the 5th. LH until the 25th. of November, 1916, when he was sent to the 2nd. LH Training Regiment at Moascar. He rejoined the 5th. LH in June 1917.
    I remember an old letter, since lost unfortunately, where he described being detached to a camel outfit for a short while. I'll see if I can find out more about that.
    Here's a photo of him with the 21st. Reinforcements at Chermside, Brisbane, before leaving.

Cheers, Willie.

Light Horse photographs

Un-named photograph, possibly Imperial Camel Corps. The man walking in the foreground appears to be wearing a British helmet.

Light Horse photographs

Bit of a mix here. Looks like British Infantry in the foreground with Light Horse troops forward and a camel unit traversing the ridge.

Light Horse photographs

?

Great pics.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast