Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M15 Adrian oxalic acid

Article about: Good morning everyone! This morning I was planning on using oxalic acid for a few of my tools and headgear. I have a pair of Adrian helmets that could do with a bath to get rid of their most

?

Default M15 Adrian oxalic acid

Good morning everyone!

This morning I was planning on using oxalic acid for a few of my tools and headgear. I have a pair of Adrian helmets that could do with a bath to get rid of their mostly surface rust. I can tell there is beautiful paint underneath it. Is oxalic acid safe to use on these helmets? A couple years ago, when I was foolish, I used oxalic acid on an adrian that had rust creeping under the paint and a lot of the original paint was removed. I’m not sure if it was my fault, or if the acid removed it.

You could use a rust remover gel if you are not sure about using Oxalic acid. Either way it would be useful to try a small area (perhaps on the inside) first to gauge the results. Post some pictures here for everyone to see what these Adrians look like unrestored and get more advice on your options before you jump in.

Ive used oxalic succesfully on quite a few different projects.. i always do a saturated solution as in mix in the crytals with water untill the no longer dissolve
    BUT a couple of years ago i was given a zuckerman helmet and although the oxalic removed the rust and left the paint intact the paint colour was heavily lightened/bleached .may have been too strong a solution but something to be warey about

?

Here’s some pics of the first one. Rust isn’t horrible, but enough to look somewhat unattractive on display compared to the ones that I have at home.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M15 Adrian oxalic acid   M15 Adrian oxalic acid  

M15 Adrian oxalic acid   M15 Adrian oxalic acid  

?

Thank you for that! I’ve used it on numerous helmets as well in the past (M1, M16, M35s, etc) and had great results. Was just worried about wrecking the paint on these. I think that I’ll do what the other guy said and try it on a small patch first while I work on my other helmets.

?

Update:

I put the rear end into the bucket for about 5 minutes. Saw the acid was working creating some bubbles, so I took it out and scrubbed it with soap and water. The acid did start working at the rust without damaging the paint! I’m going to risk submerging it for a little bit to see how it does.

Quote by Tmac25 View Post
    Thank you for that! I’ve used it on numerous helmets as well in the past (M1, M16, M35s, etc) and had great results. Was just worried about wrecking the paint on these. I think that I’ll do what the other guy said and try it on a small patch first while I work on my other helmets.
    Good luck with them, they look like they have possibilities.

Best,
    The Other Guy.

?

Cool

Haha sorry Blackcat, for some reason it won’t let me quote, I appreciate it!

Quote by Tmac25 View Post
    Haha sorry Blackcat, for some reason it won’t let me quote, I appreciate it!
    No problem. There looks to be plenty of paint on the RF example it should clean up nicely whatever you use.