Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mills Bomb

Article about: Just picked up this 1917-dated Mills Bomb. Aside from being made inert, it looks quite original and unmolested to me. Would love to know what the group thinks.

Default Mills Bomb

Just picked up this 1917-dated Mills Bomb. Aside from being made inert, it looks quite original and unmolested to me. Would love to know what the group thinks.

Mills Bomb
    Mills Bomb
    Mills Bomb
    Mills Bomb
    Mills Bomb
    Mills Bomb
    Mills Bomb

Oct, 1917 is quite early for a no. 36 Mk1 or is it no. 36M 1? Either way I like it thank you for sharing!

It appears to read No.36 M1, which I presumed meant No. 36 Mk.1. Was there a Mills Bomb No.36M 1?

I was just reading up on these WW1 Mills Bombs and found there was a Mk.36M introduced in 1917, for use in Mesopotamia. Apparently these were waterproofed with shellac. Perhaps my grenade is one of these? I have noticed a substance on parts of the grenade that could be shellac, as can be seen in this photo.

Mills Bomb

Definitely looks like Shellac. I do believe it is a No.36M Mark 1. Again hard to find one so early! I think you did quite well with it.

Thanks. I’ve wanted a WW1 Mills for awhile now and, despite not knowing what these usually sell for, I couldn’t resist taking a punt on this one when it came up for sale in a local auction. At $225 Canadian (about $164 USD), I’m glad to have it but hope I didn’t overpay!